• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Aftermarket Deck Removal

KyleQ

Hard-core CEG'er
The car currently has a older JVC deck in it and I'm unsure on the removal of it. I've never delt with JVC before and after inspection, I have no idea how it comes out. The car is a 2000; Do I have to remove part of the lower dash? Or is there a simple way to remove the deck from it's mounting tray? All my expirence is with Alpine :shrug:

The previous owner ran RCA's, power, and amp turn-on to the trunk and after hooking everything up, there is no signal comming from the rca's or amp turn-on. I'm eventually going to put a Pioneer 7800MP in, but I'd like to get the current setup working.

Well, you could try to remove the trim that surrounds the radio to see if they attached the HU to that...

Remove that is 2 screws (maybe 4? I don't remember!) on the flat bottom part of the trim above the cupholders.

After getting those screws out, it's just clips holding the rest in place. Pull straight out. Should come out fairly easily if they attached the HU to the trim (in this case, everything will come out at once). Disconnect the instrument cluster dimmer wire and work it out... it'll come out, but not with the key in the ignition!

IIRC, the factory radio helped hold this trim in place, so if the above doesn't work for you, you'll have to remove the radio first.

Oh, and this should probly go in the Audio section...

Crap, I though I was in the audio section :shrug: I guess having multiple windows open is FTL...

I'll give that a shot this weekend. Hopefully everythig will come apart nicely.

Alpines are simple to remove but JVC's require release keys to unlock the radio from the mounting sleeve. There will be two slots, one on each side of the radio under the trim ring. Pioneer and JVC use the same keys. just to to a stereo shop and have them pull it out for you. any shop would do it free of charge.
What the keys look like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-JVC-RAD...QcategoryZ1498QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Back