• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Adjustable swaybar endlinks

If the ride height has been changed then the length of the end links should also be changed. The lever arm portion of the sway bar should always be horizontal to function properly.

Once, a long time ago I made adjustable front end links with spherical rod ends. Unfortunately, they were very noisy and I found it easier to modify the existing Ford end links. Now Ford has gone to a "new and improved" design which is actually a step backward due to the smaller sized ball at each end and you cannot shorten the aluminum shaft like you could with the older style.

Buy an aftermarket set, cut the shaft, thread it and put an adjustable
threaded sleeve in between. The rears are more difficult due to their short height.

If you raise or lower the car, the swaybar will rotate. If the swaybar is vertical at rest, you can imagine what would happen when you corner - you'd be flexing the bar, not twisting it. It's best to keep it close to horizontal so you use it in torsion only, and have the correct lever arm length.

But, if you dropped your car so low that's a problem, you're way lower than you want to be for optimum handling, and so you probably don't care about a tiny difference in roll stiffness. Also, you don't need adjustable end links for that - just shorter/longer ones.

...you probably don't care about a tiny difference in roll stiffness. Also, you don't need adjustable end links for that - just shorter/longer ones.

My point exactly. I just don't see a 1 or even a 2 inch drop making that much of a difference. You have not changed the length of the lever arm, nor come close to any sort of binding situation.

Your corner-weighting example makes sense, though.

Also, you don't need adjustable end links for that - just shorter/longer ones.

Isn't that why he wants adjustable end links-to make them shorter/longer? As far as I know, no one sells shorter (or longer) end links. I'd be happy to make some up for you, but you probably wouldn't like the price. Most of the Ford parts are cheap in both cost and quality. Basically, they're disposable-like toe control arms and front A arms. That way you keep coming back and buying more.

Custom parts take lots of time, effort and money. Consider that first I must figure out how to do it, then I must source the parts and/or fabricate them, then test them on my own car for a specific duration so I can be certain they won't fail on your car and finally I can offer them for sale.

If there's a failure at some point along the process, I lose my own TE&M or the price goes up to reflect the trashed parts. Sometimes I even get it right the first time.

My newest product, available soon... Polyurethane bushed, boxed and slotted rear main control arms with optional offset (camber adjustable) bushings.

at first I thought this might be something to take a closer look into, now that I think about this, this would be completely redundant on my system.

the D2 coilovers have this built into them, I can adjust the height of mounting point of the end-links.

Back