• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A Great Investment.... probably

98mystique1

New CEG'er
So recently i stopped by my friend's house, asked him about this car that's sat in front of his garage for a week or two. He says he's holding this 98 mercury mystique (2.0 zetec vct) for someone cause it won't start and after he checked the spark plugs and stuff he believed it was the timing belt. He also said actually she only wants like a 100 bucks or so, and i saw a good opprotunity and thought... fix it and run it! she actually wanted 150 bucks so ... whatever. Now i'm hearing all the possibilities of busted pistons, valves, etc. and getting anxious. today i checked the timing belt. inside is real smooth, not a tooth on it. outside looks fragile. Suggestions and insight are most welcome as this is my first mystique/contour.:help:

i'd do it. just because i have everything needed to fix it. if you have the know-how, it could be a great investment! build a car for $600(worst case scenario it needs an engine), sell it for $2,000.

ya.. see i figure so far, ( i bought the car) all i get invested is 150 bucks. if it just needs a timing belt fix.. 175 for me to do it, alot more for someone else to. well, ok 174.99 for the kit plus tax and the fee which i get back for the loaner tool at orielly's. that's 3-400 bucks. i can get that much from a junkyard if it don't work out. but at least i gave it a shot. worth noting: after the car died, it did manage to restart long enough to relocate it to my friends house. logical?

Back