• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A few updates and a bonus pic

^^I was thinking the same thing. My dads buddy owns a chassis shop and has built many drag cars. My dad and I built my Mustangs cage to 8.50 cert. I have seen to many horrendous crashes...and bars bent that you wouldn't believe could, due to improper triangulation or bar size! Definately add a horizontal in the middle of that main hoop behind you. A couple pounds of added bar isnt worth the risk of your safety.

Good point FGM. Although if you read the wording above the x brace pic you'll see he states

Here is a shot showing the beautiful cage work done by my friend. Only thing left is the seat to be all bolted in and then the harness bars can be welded into the X bar.

So there will be a horizontal tube across the main roll hoop later on before it's finished. He also stated that the cage is being built to FIA specs.

The cage is built to FIA spec, and some parts are actually higher than FIA specs, I'd have to look up the invoice for the piping to be able to tell you the exact sizing though, it has been a while so I forgot exactly what the sizing is.

Last edited:
I guess it helps to read. lol. Yeah definate must on that bar, plus its the only way to mount the shoulder harnesses the right way.

LOVING the build Mani!! You and your buddy keep up the great work. And make me a carbon fiber or fiberglass dash from that mold when its ready! :D

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate anyone with knowledge that chimes in.

The door bars (the X) is also arched towards the outside for added strength for side impacts.

The seat tubes and the harness bars were fitted in today. It is a bit different than a regular horizontal bar.

1453278_10153605549225422_194652379_n.jpg

I guess I stand corrected, I may have missed some verbage. All I know is that I don't know how many of you have had "real" professional racing experience but I've been involved either driving, managing, crew chiefing, building and setting up everything from Champcars to Trans Am to Formula Atlantic to Sports 2000 to Grand Am Sports Racer Prototypes and everything in between, with many wins and many SCCA championships, two Grand Am championships in the P2 Class and the P2 Class win at the 2001 Rolex 24 in Daytona. I am also a ME of 38 years and an expert on aircraft structure. I'm sure you know cages are all about Metallurgy and Engineering Mechanics......Force Vectors.

These are just some of my credentials......................sorry to disappoint you.

BTW, been to F1 in Europe........anyone here ever met Ayrton Senna DaSilva in person.......................

FGM

i met scott goodyear and instructed his kids in a street survival school if that counts for anything

car looks awesome

I just have plenty of drag racing experience and knowledge. I know about chassis building from my dad and his buddies chassis shop. I built my own 8.50 NHRA certified cage in my Mustang...and am damn proud of that fact. Did everything except machine the block on that car. Does it make me an expert...no. But I do have enough knowledge about chassis building and car building to chime in. I just started getting into road course racing and AutoX after I got my Contour. Looking forward to next season!!

Keep up the great work Mani! Post plenty of pics and videos of the beast on the track and street when its together.

Back