• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A few updates and a bonus pic

Manimillion

Veteran CEG'er
Well, after a long pause, here is an update on the progress of my svt.

As you can see, the new dash bar is already put in and now the car has the steering column and steering wheel back in place.

Had the seat fitted today, so that the seat tubes can be welded in.

1488029_10100539747634115_1332810199_n.jpg

All gussets are welded in

1474556_10100539747130125_2042447348_n.jpg

Rear plexiglass window marked and frame for it is all done. Just needs to be drilled, sealed and bolted on.

1425588_10100539748158065_1858729622_n.jpg

Rear firewall frame is done, just needs the carbon fiber panels to be made and fitted on.

1470215_10100539748981415_506392725_n.jpg

Here is a shot showing the beautiful cage work done by my friend. Only thing left is the seat to be all bolted in and then the harness bars can be welded into the X bar.

1458557_10100539749660055_1433957323_n.jpg

Here is a shot of the car from its last race in 2012. Only saw a few more events after that event then it was taken all apart for the ground up rebuild.

1451612_10100539752639085_526987565_n.jpg

Bonus picture.

Didn't get any racing done this year, but obviously, I had to have a back up car to be able to at least represent the Contour's at a couple of lapping days.

1391500_10100503431731475_1575213243_n.jpg

Always great to see your posts/car. Thats an extensive amount of work. Looks like you dont plan on ripping it apart again in the future. Well, unless you have to.

Where did that pre98 come from???? Does it have a micah front bumper? Nice work on the race car :cool:

:drool:
attachment.php

:drool:

Where did that pre98 come from???? Does it have a micah front bumper? Nice work on the race car :cool:

Is the Micah the carbon ones? I have a carbon fiber pre98 sitting in my garage without the mirko, and the one on the car is plastic welded pre98 top with an svt bottom with obviously a mirko.

I confiscated it from my brother. He has had the car forever and hasn't driven it since 2008 or 2009, so I kind of took possession. Considering how mild the chassis mods are compared to my SVT's even old setup, it is still quite fun at the track.

Is the Micah the carbon ones? I have a carbon fiber pre98 sitting in my garage without the mirko, and the one on the car is plastic welded pre98 top with an svt bottom with obviously a mirko.

I confiscated it from my brother. He has had the car forever and hasn't driven it since 2008 or 2009, so I kind of took possession. Considering how mild the chassis mods are compared to my SVT's even old setup, it is still quite fun at the track.
specs ?

3L, quaife lsd, st220 UIM, true duals, hot air intake, TCE BBK, koni yellows with h&r race springs , has ran a 1/4 mile time of a 13.5 @ 105mph without a proper tune and a ••••ty launch, full interior, only spare was removed, and his front bumper weighs a TON. Was his first pass ever with the setup, then broke an axle and never tried again.

To be honest, I much prefer the rod shift in his car to the stupid cable shift they did in the svt's too. Even the factory seats in that car is much more supportive and sportier than what you get in an SVT. I guess the SVT's are much more "Americanized"

Your brother is 96BlackSe?

He sure is.

Mani
So I am sittin here about 60 miles away jealous as hell...What a wonderful setup
I thought building new brackets to hold my huge Cibie Super OScars above my new SVT front bumper on my 99 mystique was a job
My son hates them but they sure light up the road for an old old guy(Me)
If you go out to the garage some day and find that sweet 243whp engine gone....IT WASN'T ME..lol

So did you friend do all the tube bending for that cage? Or did you purchase a complete cage and weld it in. Forgive me if I've asked you this in the past, I've just forgotten. Also what are the specs on the tubing your using?

Mani
So I am sittin here about 60 miles away jealous as hell...What a wonderful setup
I thought building new brackets to hold my huge Cibie Super OScars above my new SVT front bumper on my 99 mystique was a job
My son hates them but they sure light up the road for an old old guy(Me)
If you go out to the garage some day and find that sweet 243whp engine gone....IT WASN'T ME..lol

lol, now I know where to start looking ;)

So did you friend do all the tube bending for that cage? Or did you purchase a complete cage and weld it in. Forgive me if I've asked you this in the past, I've just forgotten. Also what are the specs on the tubing your using?

My friend did all the bending, it all started off as straight DOM tubing, he is quiet the artist when it comes to fabrication, this is easy as a pie for him to do, compared to what he has built in the past. The cage is built to FIA spec, and some parts are actually higher than FIA specs, I'd have to look up the invoice for the piping to be able to tell you the exact sizing though, it has been a while so I forgot exactly what the sizing is.

I would highly recommend welding a horizontal tube across the main roll hoop. Since you have already installed door bars I would locate that horizontal bar at the upper point where the door bar meets the main hoop for maximum strength. If your car gets hit at the B-Pillar on the driver side, that main hoop would collapse and pull all of the surrounding bracing and the door bars into you and probably crush your seat. Looking from the rear Left/Rear 3/4 view you can clearly see how the door bars would be forced into you and your seat if the side of the main hoop would collapse. I have raced SCCA CLUB/PRO Racing and Grand Am for over 25 years. I have built many tub-based cars as well as tube-framed GT cars. Also repaired many Sports Racer tubs, Formula car chassis and Carbon Fiber chassis.

Just concerned about your safety.

FGM

Back