• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

a few mod questions

prozak1986

CEG'er
before i get flamed i did try searching and didnt find the answers i was looking for , ok so im trying to squeese some power out of my car without going to crazy ,

1st. optimizing throttle body
2nd. optimizing the secondary butterflies
3rd. optimizing the stock y pipe

doing these 3 things should i see and gains ? about how much hp should i expect to see out of doing this ?

optimizing the throttle body increases throttle response more than anything.

dont bother with the secondaries, they are such a PITA and any gains will only be minimal.

Optimizing the y-pipe helps, but again, such a PITA and unless you know what your doing with exhaust tubing and a welder, not exactly a DIY project. you're much better off getting something like the BAT or Tru-Bendz y-pipes.

thanks , i did find out after i posted that the secondaries was a waste of time and a pita , so im probably just going to clean the uim and lim ( anything else i can do while im in there ? ) , with the optimized TB and either an optimized y pipe or a bat or tru bendz about how much of a hp gain will i see , will i notice it ?

Well I don't have one so I can't speak for certain, the catalog makes it sound like a direct fit, however I don't think they sell w/out cats. Or at least they don't advertise a catless one.

tru bendz sells the y pipe with a cat and optional "test pipe" so i think im going to go with that one , . , i still cant find a how to on how to optimize the throttle body thow , any help with that ?

Sorry I've been trying to find one, and the how-to archives don't have one. I know Harrry said he has a how-to, and I know he optimizes for other CEGers. There's another thread going right now that has some general how-tos on how to do it, but none are contour specific.

If you're willing to do all the work involved, then sure why not. A light weight flywheel is a good mod.

I have UD/OD pullies on my car. I can't comment on how the UD crank pulley improved anything because it was on the car when I got it, but I have heard it helps with acceleration among other things. Maybe Harry can chime in here, I know he likes to comment on them lol :).

Yea i'm a fan of the UDP. To be honest, i was very hesitant about installing one after all the negative feedback on engines blowing and the increase of NVH. The increase of NVH ended up being BS. I installed 3 of these all in different 2.5's and two 3.0l's. Not one car increased vibration. The surprising thing is all of them reduced vibration during the rpm range. So much for factual statements..:blackeye:. Another good element was the increase of my mpgs. They went up by 2-3. So that was a plus. The power gains on 3L engines are roughly around 5-6whp so it's been dyno proven.

Personally it was the best bang for the buck mod i ever did for this car. Over my true duals, headers, air intake, mass air meter, Optimized lim, 65mm tb, Ported uim.
Would i do it again...Yes.....i even went and bought one for my 3.0L daily driver lol.

I've commented on UDPs on a few posts if you search but I second Harrry's statements, the Y-pipe and UDP were done same weekend and noticeable power and mpgs.
-J

so me and a friend got together today and started messing with the contour , took off the uim and cleaned everything ( secondaries were nasty dirty ) i optimized the TB ( single blade and knife edged the blade ) i thought about optimizing the mas air but didnt want to risk messing anything up but i did take the screen out of it , also i made an adapter for the intake so it sits on the end of the mas air now ,., after driving around for a little i deffinatly noticed a slight gain in power , but now i have a funny idle ( idles at about 1200 ware it use to idle at 700-800 rpm ) is this normal ? ............ i need a new serp belt anyways so i was wondering is there any gain in deleting all the a/c crap out of the car ( all the lines , compresor , condensor ) ?

the screen is suppose to be there. it straightens the airflow so that the maf gets a better reading. its a mixed bag, some have issues without it and other don't. I don't have one installed at the moment and the only thing I have noticed is that the idle is alittle low. but I also believe it was the same with a stock airbox and screen.

so me and a friend got together today and started messing with the contour , took off the uim and cleaned everything ( secondaries were nasty dirty ) i optimized the TB ( single blade and knife edged the blade ) i thought about optimizing the mas air but didnt want to risk messing anything up but i did take the screen out of it , also i made an adapter for the intake so it sits on the end of the mas air now ,., after driving around for a little i deffinatly noticed a slight gain in power , but now i have a funny idle ( idles at about 1200 ware it use to idle at 700-800 rpm ) is this normal ? ............ i need a new serp belt anyways so i was wondering is there any gain in deleting all the a/c crap out of the car ( all the lines , compresor , condensor ) ?

I plan on doing the UIM cleaning this weekend, do you have any tips or tricks that might save me a headache on Saturday? Thanks!

I plan on doing the UIM cleaning this weekend, do you have any tips or tricks that might save me a headache on Saturday? Thanks!

it was pretty straight forward , just make sure everythings unhooked and unplugged and take your time , i used 2 cans of throttle body/carb and choke cleaner and could have used 1 more can , in all honesty thow my car runs like a new car and a big part of it is probably from being so clean

ive seen the screens out of the mas air flow sensors a million times with no issues , i was debating on optimizing it or not but didnt want to risk it ( im going to the junk yard today so maybe ill look for a slightly larger one or one off a v6 tour and optimize it ) that way if i mess it up i got a spare on hand , im also going to hack a y pipe off a tour and try and optimize that and when its done i can just slap it on my car

anyone got advice on taking the a/c stuff out of the car ?

Not sure if you're going to gain any actual horsepower, but you will be taking out around 20 lbs from the front end. That will definately make a difference in handling, especially in a nose heavy, front engine, front wheel drive car. You might feel a little increase in acceleration, but I'm not quite sure. I'm going to be deleting my A/C soon too since this car will turn into my track/summer daily driver car.

Sorry, I have no advice on taking it out.

Back