• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

99 SVT Stutter

Ok I used autolite XP's and Borg Warner Wires, to backtrack. Anyways back to the EGR problem, which size is the nut holding the EGR Valve onto the tube, also other than clogged TB passages, what else causes a P401?

Some P0401 reasons

Vacuum supply: Insufficient Detected : EGR valve stuck : EGR valve leaks : EGR flow path restricted:

DPF EGR sensor: indicates that EGR; VREF open to D.P.F. EGR sensor: D.P.F. EGR sensor downstream hose off or plugged

: EGRVR circuit open to PCM: VPWR open to EGRVR solenoid

D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses both off: D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses reversed: Damaged EGR orifice tube

: Damaged EGRVR solenoid:

Damaged PCM

Last edited:
Stutter?

Stutter?

I had the same problem and it was the Ignition Coil.
There are tutorials around showing how to test your coil.

I believe Autozone has a good one.

It can cause a definite "Stutter" or a "Misfire"

You will need a multimeter to test out the coil and ANY indications that are out of the ordinary can cause misfires.

Check around, as I found a good "NEW" Motorcraft coil on the internet for $35.00.

It solved my problem, and may help you as well.

Gary

As of current there are no more misfire codes, i think the fuel injector cleared that issue, I believe the P401 code is causing what amost seems like a stuttering issue. What are the easiest and quickest ways to troubleshoot the P401, like not just what causes it but how to test for the causes, the resons im asking is because I am still without a repair manual and i dont think the regular chiltons would be very useful in this situation anyways.

Cheap and easy? ;)

EGR vacuum test.
Modified test for EGR (per Ray and Steve):
(remove the green vacuum hose from the top, be careful as it is brittle, and apply a vacuum (attached a small hose and suck on itl) to see if the car stumbles while running. This indicates a properly operating EGR.

Does it work properly?

NO: The EGR valve is defective or the EGR passages are clogged. Check (and clean, if needed) the passages behind the Throttle Body. Purchase a TB gasket, and remove the air plenum (rubber accordion tube) then remove the TB. Clean the EGR passage (small cut-out in the outer edge of the TB's mating surface) really well, install a new gasket and re-attach the TB. If the passages are clear, the EGR valve is defective. While rare, they do fail.

YES: The EGR valve works and the passages are clear. The likely fault is the DPFE sensor or its sample hoses, followed by the EVR solenoid or the PCM. May also be caused by interconnecting vacuum lines or electrical connections.

Alright sounds like a plan, what size is the nut that holds the EGR Valve onto the tube?

Back