• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 SVT vs. 98 Silverado 1500

svttouruofl

CEG'er
Well I have a buddy that recently bought a 98 Chevy CK1500 Silverado extented cab that has a 5.7L Vortech in it and has a 3.73 posi rear. He claims that he could easily leave me in the dust and I am tired of hearing this same old story for the past month. So we are going to go to the track in the next week sometime. We are going to most likely be on the 1/8th mile track but we may take it to the 1/4. His truck is stock and my SVT is basically stock with slight intake/exhaust mods, eibach springs, and 225/40/18's. I have become fairly good at launching at 4500+rpm's by preloading the axles so I should get a good launch. We have both driven each vehicle and to me they feel about the same. What do you all think the outcome of this is going to be and which track would I have the better chance on?

My friends 97 Neon smoked my 95 Chev that has a 5.7:cry:
But were the 95's even the Vortech? The Vortech to me always seemed to have more get up. I would agree you should smoke him in the 1/4. It'd probably be closer in the 1/8 because he's most likely going to get you out of the hole. Trucks are usually built for down low power. I think you could beat him at either track if you drive well.

But were the 95's even the Vortech? The Vortech to me always seemed to have more get up. I would agree you should smoke him in the 1/4. It'd probably be closer in the 1/8 because he's most likely going to get you out of the hole. Trucks are usually built for down low power. I think you could beat him at either track if you drive well.
Negative. They were not. I wish.
We were doin about twenty five and we both stomped it. My poor truck had to look at a neons but twice now.

Obviously its an automatic. If he breaks and gases, then he can launch better than you.

I think out of first gear you will have half a fender. And the rest of the way you will win. the problem here is 3rd gear in trucks are dogs. In our cars 3rd gear still feels strong.

So it will be a close race. Make sure you hit second right.

Last edited:
You are really questioning whether that STOCK truck will beat an SVT? You will smoke him. Assuming an excellent launch/run, the only stock truck that would give your SVT a good fight would be a Dakota R/T or a new Tundra. (besides Lightnings and SRT-10 Rams and Sy/Ty's)

You are really questioning whether that STOCK truck will beat an SVT? You will smoke him. Assuming an excellent launch/run, the only stock truck that would give your SVT a good fight would be a Dakota R/T or a new Tundra. (besides Lightnings and SRT-10 Rams and Sy/Ty's)

Besides '99SE's quote and the above quote, it all comes down to the launch. Coming from a veteran stock SVTC launcher (how gay does that sound?), You should look for a good launch in the 1750-2250RPM launch realm. I'm assuming that you don't have any mods done to the car. (I could be wrong due to not paying attention about your posts previous to this one)... or any other for that matter. If you have practiced your launch, then ride it out for about 1250 RPM's on the 1/4 mile run. Don't be afraid to double clutch if you are using a STAGE3 Clutch (Ceramic 6-Puck) but also don't overshoot the same clutch if on something other than a 1/4 mile track

You should look to take your opponent on the first launch at around a 1500 RPM clutch..."sidestep and ride"... If there is a factory clutch on your vehicle. If there is better, then step it up no more than about a 2000 RPM clutch "sidestep and and ride"

Obviously there is a difference than what is expected...Depending on what tires are on the vehicle.........

Last edited:
4500 rpm launch sounds very very painful on a stock diff! Just don't say I didn't warn you when you post pics of transaxle fluid on the track. :) Seriously though, 2500 - 3000 for a good launch in my opinion.

Dad owns a 96 Silverado. Has the 5.7L 350. Pushin stock horsepower at 300ish. He got me off the line but then I took him afterwards. The 5-speed we have in the CSVT is pretty well tuned. Plus he doesn't have the luxury of having a race in leather!:laugh:

Back