• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 SVT not starting

Blackstallion00

New CEG'er
So last fall my svt started acting up. It wouldn't start (rolling over but not firing) so i would let it sit for an hour or so and then it would start right up. At first it did it to me only once in a great while (every few weeks or so). But towards the end of the winter it stared happening more and more. Until finally one day after work i went to the gas station and got gas, when i went to start it at the gas station it didn't want to start for me but after 10 minuets trying i got it to start, drove it home, and parked it. A couple hours later i went to leave and it wouldn't start and hasn't started since.

So far ive replaced the battery, the spark plugs, and the coil pack but still no luck

the reason i chose to replace these things is because lately when ive been trying to start it i have sprayed starter fluid into the intake (minding the MAF sensor) but still no firing. If the car is getting air and fuel wouldn't it at least fire up for a second? this had made me believe its something in the ignition system. I really need some help on this because the car is not in a good spot to be picked up and towed away to the mechanic! Thanks

This sounds like a fuel pump to me.

Did you test a spark plug to see if it is actually sparking? Typically you can't get enough starter fluid in the combustion chambers, I know I have tried it and it doesn't work on a modern car engine.

Hows the ground on your starter? Double check all the electrical terminal nuts on it. They could be loose. Like he^ said also, make sure your fuel pump is priming. If you've checked the other stuff as you said u have, then the culprit should be one of the two just outlined.

The fuel pump is priming. I checked to see if it was getting spark at all, it wasn't. although im not entirely confident in the ground i used for the plug. I put the plug on a bolt attaching the motor mount to the frame. Is this a sufficient ground? I will look into the starter tonight and post back

The fuel pump is priming. I checked to see if it was getting spark at all, it wasn't. although im not entirely confident in the ground i used for the plug. I put the plug on a bolt attaching the motor mount to the frame. Is this a sufficient ground? I will look into the starter tonight and post back

Yes, that is sufficient ground contact.

Back