• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98.5 / 99 VSS Question

joepage

CEG'er
Is there a differance from 98.5 csvt VSS from a 99 csvt VSS. when everything from 98.5 was pulled speedo was working fine. 99 had a blown motor so I cant say if it worked or not, although the oil change sticker on the window was close to the speedo milage. Everything is installed and now speedo is not working and getting a vss code( 98.5 vss is installed). The wiring colors on the 98.5 VSS connector do not match the wire colors on the 99 wiring harness leading to the VSS plug. I am planning on putting in 99 VSS and see if the problem is corrected as it matches the harness. Then plan on checking top see if signal is getting to the 99 cluster. I have searched the forum and have not run across this problem. Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

The VSS is the same for all 95 (from 2/1/95)-00 2.5L MTX. Part number F5RZ-9E731-AC.

The wire colors did change for some reason though. My original VSS did not match my replacement even though they were both Ford OEM. Also, the original VSS design used a plastic pin, while the updated VSS used a metal pin. The early ones typically failed when the plastic pin would snap off the sensor.

The VSS is the same for all 95 (from 2/1/95)-00 2.5L MTX. Part number F5RZ-9E731-AC.

The wire colors did change for some reason though. My original VSS did not match my replacement even though they were both Ford OEM. Also, the original VSS design used a plastic pin, while the updated VSS used a metal pin. The early ones typically failed when the plastic pin would snap off the sensor.
What happens if it it falls in the tranny?

What happens if it it falls in the tranny?

I don't believe it can actually fall through. The gear that it mates with inside the tranny doesn't allow it to drop through. When the pin snaps, you'll get erratic speedometer readings as the two broken points touch will driving.

You just need to grab the broken pin with some needle nose pliers small enough to slip in there. I can't remember if I used pliers or something like tweezers.

Sorry for threadjacking.
My speedometer hasnt woked since it fell. Could that be the issue. I already put a new one and nothing.

What do you mean since it fell? Are you saying your gauge cluster was dropped? If that's the case, the replacement you installed might be the wrong year gauge cluster.

I don't believe it can actually fall through. The gear that it mates with inside the tranny doesn't allow it to drop through. When the pin snaps, you'll get erratic speedometer readings as the two broken points touch will driving.

You just need to grab the broken pin with some needle nose pliers small enough to slip in there. I can't remember if I used pliers or something like tweezers.
The vss pin snapped and fell inside the transmission.

I do have one, but havent had it scanned. I recently did a 3L swap, so its probably for that.

Back