• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

96 Tour 2.5 ATX Oil Pan Removal Question?

96FordPOS

CEG'er
In my Chilton Manuel it claims I have to raise the engine to remove the oil pan, is this true? I thought I could just remove the y-pipe and be good?

Thanks

Dan

edit: Mods can move the to the maintenance section sorry.

I'm not exactly sure what its like on the 2.5 since I havent peeked at the oil pan but usually the oil pan would never slip out past the subframe. So you either unbolt the subframe and take it off for a few minutes or you raise the engine and work around the subframe which is a lot more labor intensive.

Once the y-pipe is out, the pan comes out with no problem. Just two bolts by the crank pulley will have to be hand tightened on reassembly. Don't forget the two dabs of RTV that are needed at the block/oil pump parting line.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=28647&highlight=oil+pan+gasket

Thanks!! Thought so. I already started to get the y-pipe out only 2 bolts left the ones connecting to the flex pipe are crazy :shrug: I am a strong guy but Jesus that is nuts, time to bust out the impact wrench.

Thanks!! Thought so. I already started to get the y-pipe out only 2 bolts left the ones connecting to the flex pipe are crazy :shrug: I am a strong guy but Jesus that is nuts, time to bust out the impact wrench.

I got my grinder out and cut them off. Then just blew them out with a torch :)

Seriously i used an impact and the bolts never came out. So i had to cut them off.

well i just completed the oil pan gasket last night and i have a question...in the bottom of the oil pan there were these 2 little v shaped plastic pieces.at least i believe they were plastic.does anyone know if there part of the oil pan or part of the motor that may of fell out into the oil pan...has anyone else had this issue...there very tiny about a half inch wide and there v-shaped.....any idea where they go.i called the local ford store and had them fax me a picture of the oil pan and part that involve the bottom of the motor and had no luck as to where or what they go to....if anyone has an answer please let me know...before i do more damage when i drive it again....the chiltons manual says nothing about it.so im stumped..

On the oil pan, before you put on the gasket, you need to silicon 2 certain points to seal them off.

They are at one end of the oil pan. One on each side, they are about 1/4-1/2 wide.

Is this what you are referring too?

I got my grinder out and cut them off. Then just blew them out with a torch :)

Seriously i used an impact and the bolts never came out. So i had to cut them off.

Yup just grinded them off and did the same with the torch. Thanks again!

well i just completed the oil pan gasket last night and i have a question...in the bottom of the oil pan there were these 2 little v shaped plastic pieces.at least i believe they were plastic.does anyone know if there part of the oil pan or part of the motor that may of fell out into the oil pan...has anyone else had this issue...there very tiny about a half inch wide and there v-shaped.....any idea where they go.i called the local ford store and had them fax me a picture of the oil pan and part that involve the bottom of the motor and had no luck as to where or what they go to....if anyone has an answer please let me know...before i do more damage when i drive it again....the chiltons manual says nothing about it.so im stumped..

ANYONE GOT A SOLUTION TO MY ISSUE....i think it was skipped over

yeah but what im talking about doesnt have anything to do with the y-pipe...im talking about little pieces inside of the oil pan....i had no problem removing or putting the oil pan on....the issue was the v-shaped 1/4-1/2 inch pieces of platic or a light metal....where do they belong...anyone got any ideas.....:shrug:

yeah but what im talking about doesnt have anything to do with the y-pipe...im talking about little pieces inside of the oil pan....i had no problem removing or putting the oil pan on....the issue was the v-shaped 1/4-1/2 inch pieces of platic or a light metal....where do they belong...anyone got any ideas.....:shrug:

I believe this is what they are referring too:
Don't forget the two dabs of RTV that are needed at the block/oil pump parting line.

The a v-shaped little tabs I think you can toss the ones that came off and just a RTV

Are you even reading this thread. I wrote this just 6-7 posts above.:rolleyes:

On the oil pan, before you put on the gasket, you need to silicon 2 certain points to seal them off.

I'm doing this job soon, but could you explain what the parting line is?

I'm doing this job soon, but could you explain what the parting line is?

Once the y-pipe is out, the pan comes out with no problem. Just two bolts by the crank pulley will have to be hand tightened on reassembly. Don't forget the two dabs of RTV that are needed at the block/oil pump parting line.

I am doing the oil pan gasket this week on mine. Could anyone enlighten me to what the oil parting line is and where it is located? Thanks, the Dr.

Back