• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#6357 is blue!!!

PAINT: I did paint it myself, and I can thank Rustoleum for the color (and when i say "Rustoleum", I mean spray paint. YES...SPRAY PAINT). Went to a couple places to match the paint, yet no one could. The blue, yes. The metallic, no. The color flop, no. So my decision was made to use spray cans so i could get the exact color i wanted.

So wait... you rattle canned the entire car!? Wow... that turned out pretty damn good. That must have taken a lot of time and patience. Now my question is what does the engine bay and trunk look like?

overall its not to bad, i like it. thats a pretty damn good paint job if you rattlecanned the whole thing. did u paint the sunroof blue too. i like the idea of the taillights but it needs to be out flush with the trunk more or a cover on it. it just doesnt flow smoothly. maybe painting them to match the car would help it out. & u should make the headlights projectors or hightower them to match. everything on the car has a dark appeal then some shiny headlights. just my opinion

So wait... you rattle canned the entire car!? Wow... that turned out pretty damn good. That must have taken a lot of time and patience. Now my question is what does the engine bay and trunk look like?

PRESTO!!!
IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

*note the blue/teal/purple color change
IMAG0235.jpg

double_u_4...i have my old headlights so I might wind up hightowering them. OR...possibly try my hand at a set of "morettes" with projectors. Who knows. Plus my neighbor has a mystique he is probably scrapping so I might try to get the headlights and tail lights off of him. I suddenly have ALOT of free time now that im down to working 3 days a week so... And I was pondering doing a "moon roof" and painting the sunroof, but wasn't sure how well the whole "painting on glass" would turn out.

I used somewhere around 15, maybe a little less. I used 9 ca ns to get a base down, the misted with rest to blend and balance everything out. And I just sanded down the black to help with adhesion. No primer, just straight over the original color.

did u clear & wet sand it to. did u take the doors & everything off or just tape it up. i wish i could to that with a rattlecan. my car could use a painting.i tried doing just a door 1 time with a rattle can & clear & it didnt look rite. the paint & everything was even & all but just didnt have the shine & reflection to it like it should. i wish you were closer i would have you do mine. but a differnt color:cool:

I have yet to.wet sand and buff, but it is cleared using dupli-color. I tried with the cans, but got a striping to it, and shine in some spots and not in others. So I sanded.it smooth and used a gun instead. I did do the inside door jambs, but not the doors themselves. Kinda cheated on that one. Ive been contemplating painting the wheels a dark bronze color, almost like a root beer color. Idk yet

HONEST OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Lose the fender gap (lower it) gently no slamming so you can git a charcoal mirko either og or new duraflex sex.
Get new wheels to match the charcoal or paint your current ones.
Get lens to cover the tail lights, if they dont have some already. it looks like it's just missing and looks incomplete.
A light tint on the windows, maybe 40-50% would be spot on.

To me, if you did all that, it would be perfect.

Then again that's me, not you. =)

Whatever you do next, if you do it right and don't get carried away, I see a legendary CSVT.

:D

Here's a close up of the wheels, only reason I have this is because I found them when I was hunting for wheels. I think they're clean and classy...

IMAG0436.jpg

You can also buy them just polised I didn't think the polished part would flow well with mine considering I'm blacking out the trim on the car. Btw how much did you pay for your's? I paid $330 :laugh: employee discount :cool:

Doc...i do plan on lowering, tinting, and also working on a ” 3D” set of tails. Help fill in the gap. probably gonna clear the wheels. I am also working on a custom made splitter.

I saw the polished wheels and I thought about them, but figured the polished/raw aluminum look wouldnt gel with the charcoal. And I paid $420 and wrapped them in kuhmo ecsta.

But it is still blue. I went out and took some more pics last week. Also have a change of plans. I have been having alot of chipping on my bumper and hood (as well as a part of off a Subaru Legacy I want to install), and have some new damage on the roof that needs to get fixed, so hopefully i can get the black metallic on it instead of te charcoal. The more i look at it, the less i like the charcoal. Dont get me wrong...I like the color, and combo with the blue, but the metallic in it is too fine and so much that it kinda dumbs the color down. That...and it doesnt match the metallic content of the blue. Seem like the blue has a bigger "flake" to it. The black that I used on some interior pieces and E1's matches that "flake" look damn near perfectly.

IMAG0016.jpg

Back