• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

4.0 L Contour ?

So, I was reading in Car&Driver about the new 2007 models. The new 3.5 L 265hp engine that Ford is putting in most of its cars, is the same size as the old 3.0L. They also stated that they were working on a 4.0L that would also be the same size as the 3.0L with 300hp. Just thought it would be sweet to have a SVT Contour with a 4.0 L. You have to read Car&Driver, because I dont know how they could make a 4.0L fit in the same size 3.0L block. Thought it was interesting. -B.

But much like the 3.5L discussions, the 4.0L will have (IIRC) VVT, which will not be plug and play like the current 3.0L swaps.

Mark

Still would be sweet though. Id love to swap that in a Contour, make it rwd, and turbo/spray the thing. The cost would be rediculous but its nice to dream.

I C

I C

Ok, so not plug and play, but still a cool thought. A 4.0L with 300hp and no FI would be a front wheel drive M3 on crack ! I might come back to the CSVT world when a 4.0L can be had for cheap, and someone with the know how to put it in. Selling a car is HORRIBLE right now ! Im down to $4500, with not even a call. Wait and see, might just have to keep it. -B

I can't recall all the discussion in the 3.5L thread... but if VVT is the primary issue, IF the 3.0L heads are physically compatible, would it then be possible? Hmm... am I also remembering correctly that the 3.5L was going to be only mated to ATX's, which was another potential issue?

From pics of 3.0L blocks, it doesn't look like the bore can be much larger... so if they're just stroking the 3.0L for the 3.5/4.0L's, then that might make it even more feasible.

morbid,

Anything is possible, it just takes money and time.

The 3.5L Duratec is an all new engine compared to the 3.0L, it simply occupies the same package space. The block is different, so the 3.5L to 4.0L jump would certainly be covered at least partly by a bore increase. And the heads are most certainly different. Though, once you have all the VVT hardware in the car, it then is just a wiring and calibration issue; niether of which is insurmountable.

There is currently no manual trans designed to mate up to the D35, but I'm sure an adapter plate could be designed to put most any manual trans behind it; the question is, whether the resulting combo would fit in a contour . . . (the D35 crank sits lower than the "old" duratec)

Since this is coming in cars with the 3.0 now are they also changing transmissions or keeping the same one that was used before? Transmission issues may not be any worse than they are now.

About all this VVT stuff...

What if you just left that junk disconnected?

Would it stay at one setting all the time (pretty much acting like there was no VVT), or would it just not work?

VVT, if it's like the junk on the Zetec, would have some spring loaded thingies on the cam sprockets. You might be able to just get some adjustable sprockets & bolt 'em on to the cams & call it a day. Would definately be better to get the VVT up & running though. IIRC our PCM has some sort of reserved functionality that may be usable for controlling VVT. Only time will tell if either of those pipe dreams ever comes to fruition.

Now as far as the trans for the D35: The D35 is supposed to be useable in the current 3L platforms, that includes the Escape. Will Ford throw a new trans in with the engine for ALL platforms, or will the D35 be compatible with the CD4E in the Escape & also the Contour? Again, time will tell. I wish Bill could send me a D35 to play with...

Back