• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L valves in 2.5 heads on a Hybrid.

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
So, my engine and trans are coming out again within the next month, and was thinking about putting bigger valves in. I'm just wondering what all is involved with putting bigger valves in. Am i going to have to take the heads to a machine shop to have them fitted? Is it actually worth having it done on a Hybrid? What kind of gains could i see?

You would take it to a machine shop and they would have to put larger seats into the head to accommodate the larger valve diameter. you would need 12 new intake seats and the labor to cut and press them in could get pricy. The intake valve is the largest restriction to flow in the cylinder head so the larger you can make the valve the more flow you can get out of it therefore more power. How much? couldn't tell you I would imagine without porting the gains won't be that great

This may sound dumb, but do 3L heads have seats in them? Cuz i can order them from a 2.5 Contour, but cant seem to find them for a 3L DOHC

Mark, id get ahold of mike(csvt49) and see where hee sent his heads to.it WILL NOT Be cheap.

If its really as expensive as you guys are making it sound, i may have to wait. I wasnt thinking it'd be much more than 300-400 bucks.

Let me ask my boss what he would charge to have it done and I'll get back to you tomorrow. Yes they have seats, aluminum heads wont last without them the valve would just pound into the head

That would be great if you could get a price idea for me. And yea, i figured they must have seats. The aluminum is way too soft to not have them. Just weird rock auto lists them for Contours but not any 3L DOHC engines.

I was quoted around $350 about 2 years ago. Dont remember where that was from though...

You could just switch over to a full 3L

I'm not going to go full 3L. I like the look of the 2.5 top end, and i figure, if i could get the flow of a 3L head with the higer compression ratio of the 2.5, then why not. I'm trying to catch up to Mani with a Hybrid. Only 60 more HP to go :D

I would suggest getting the heads ported and polished if your putting in larger valves. But with the money you would spend on making those 2.5 heads flow more you could probably buy a low mileage 04+ oval port 3L, a tune, and put down either the same or more power.

I have a set of 98 SVT Contour heads with 3L valves installed that I've got for sale. I bought them as a package deal with cams, uim, lim, etc. The car they were out of consistently ran in the 14.4-14.6 range in the quarter mile. PM if interested.

Our heads are pretty good already except for the small valves. Not worth the money to P&P. Almost no gains for another several hundred dollars...that money could be much better spent elsewhere.

The shop I work at charges 96-144 dollars to cut the seats to the size of the valve depending on how difficult it would be to set it up on the machine. That is if the seat has a wide enough diameter to accept the larger valve (which I believe it does) otherwise new seats need to be installed and it would be quite a bit more expensive. plus it would be about 350 bucks to do a complete valve job with tear down, inspection, machining, cleaning, and reassembly unless you were gonna do all that yourself. Ok here is the kicker and your final decision maker. Think of this, If you put in larger valves, the combustion chamber is going to shroud the valve more. So to prevent this you open up the combustion chamber enough to allow for adequate air flow around the valve. In doing so you are lowering the compression ratio of the heads of which the whole reason you have them on there is for the greater compression ratio. So where will your gains be? I dont want to deter you from making horsepower you are looking at this correctly just be sure to consider all the variables. And don't forget the cost of porting. Without going at this with everything considered the only thing youll gain out of larger valves is youll feel really good telling people you have 3L valves in your hybrid.

Oh and by the way I'm shootin for Mani too and I'm rather confident in my ability to build engines. But you must be on the right track seeing as the setup I'm working on is a hybrid as well... and I'm thinking things through the exact same way you are. Good luck with the build

I'm not going to go full 3L. I like the look of the 2.5 top end, and i figure, if i could get the flow of a 3L head with the higer compression ratio of the 2.5, then why not. I'm trying to catch up to Mani with a Hybrid. Only 60 more HP to go :D

I would just port match a set of 3L heads to fit your 2.5L UIM if the "look" is what your after. The amount of money your going to put into the 2.5L heads to get what you want out of them is going to be more then what you want to spend. That I can pretty much guarantee you.

The shop I work at charges 96-144 dollars to cut the seats to the size of the valve depending on how difficult it would be to set it up on the machine. That is if the seat has a wide enough diameter to accept the larger valve (which I believe it does) otherwise new seats need to be installed and it would be quite a bit more expensive. plus it would be about 350 bucks to do a complete valve job with tear down, inspection, machining, cleaning, and reassembly unless you were gonna do all that yourself. Ok here is the kicker and your final decision maker. Think of this, If you put in larger valves, the combustion chamber is going to shroud the valve more. So to prevent this you open up the combustion chamber enough to allow for adequate air flow around the valve. In doing so you are lowering the compression ratio of the heads of which the whole reason you have them on there is for the greater compression ratio. So where will your gains be? I dont want to deter you from making horsepower you are looking at this correctly just be sure to consider all the variables. And don't forget the cost of porting. Without going at this with everything considered the only thing youll gain out of larger valves is youll feel really good telling people you have 3L valves in your hybrid.

Oh and by the way I'm shootin for Mani too and I'm rather confident in my ability to build engines. But you must be on the right track seeing as the setup I'm working on is a hybrid as well... and I'm thinking things through the exact same way you are. Good luck with the build

Thanks for all of the info! I really appreciate it.

Little tip for you, get some 02 cougar heads for your hybrid build. That way you dont have to block off oil ports on the block. The 02 cougar heads line right up. (not my research. credit goes to wadespencer on here and NECO, but the proof is on my car;) )

Back