• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Hybrid questions

I've run stock SVT 19lb injectors in tons of ported 3L motors daily driven for years. We've NEVER had an issue or noticed any fuel limiting issues. I've even seen some people running 17lb injectors in 3L builds (3L Cougars running stock 17lb injectors). With the supercharger on my car the 19lb injectors ran all the way up to about 300whp before they were absolutely maxed out(swapped in 42lb injectors at that point).

I've run stock SVT 19lb injectors in tons of ported 3L motors daily driven for years. We've NEVER had an issue or noticed any fuel limiting issues. I've even seen some people running 17lb injectors in 3L builds (3L Cougars running stock 17lb injectors). With the supercharger on my car the 19lb injectors ran all the way up to about 300whp before they were absolutely maxed out(swapped in 42lb injectors at that point).

informative pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=max%20hp%20of%2019lb%20injectors&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.schofieldcomputer.com%2FmyCoupe%2Fdocuments%2FProperly_Sizing_Fuel_System_Components.pdf&ei=OQdzUO-0OePj0QHt-IGoDw&usg=AFQjCNG3Bu5rBjIPaUCV44y6jyTO3NYW5g&cad=rja

In short, anyone with anything more than just a basic 3L will need 24lb injectors.

Regardless, I've run them (50+ 3L SVT's I've built are running them), other people on here run them, and we've never had issues. I've had cars tuned with them and air/fuel was always within range. I know that doesn't necessarily mean people won't have issues with 19's, but that is a crap ton of data that obviously doesn't make sense when you use that formula. To make it even worse I have seen 3L's running 17lb injectors. That shouldn't be in the realm of possibility with that formula so there is obviously a decent amount of padding in those numbers.

blackcoog's got it right.

Plenty of padding in those numbers :laugh:.

Since about 2007-08 and 20,000 miles, I have 17# injectors on my ported 3L and based off my dyno numbers, my injector flow is at 120%!!! Impossible, right? Nope ;). 190hp 192tq :cool:

There have been so many threads about this I stopped counting, rather, I'll give my answer to your initial question. I have been running for nearly 50K miles exactly the engine you're talking about: a 3L Hybrid w/late model Cougar heads, SVT cams, completely built from the bottom up. I did not opt for the 3L valves as I could not substantiate the additional cost to horsepower and invested in better parts for the motor instead. I cheaped out with the previous engines I put in and decided this would be the final time i put an engine her. My car is daily driven and currently without a tune, however, is an absolute beast compared to how she used to be. The investment in forged rods, new pistons, new mains and rods, ARP head fasteners, lightweight flywheel, all new timing and oiling components, and probably the biggest differentiator, balancing the engine, has paid dividends in the smoothness and quickness to redline. If you're planning on building a NA beast like your initial post stated, then follow your plans and you won't be disappointed. :)

Have you had your car dyno'd? My goal is to have the most powerful 3L hybrid in the long run. Sure it's going to take a few years to save up all the parts and build, but that what i'm shooting for.

Have you had your car dyno'd? My goal is to have the most powerful 3L hybrid in the long run. Sure it's going to take a few years to save up all the parts and build, but that what i'm shooting for.

I have not yet had it dyno'd, however, I will be doing so in the spring as part of a tune in upstate NY. I have driven another 3L hybrid as well as my previous 'cheapo' hybrid swap and I truly believe the full balance made all of the difference this time around. If you have the time and patience to assemble the parts as you previously described, I'm certain you'll achieve your goal. :)

I definantly have the patience.

Any chance you'll be coming to PA for anything? I'd love to take a ride in it to feel the difference. Any interest in going to the Carlisle All Ford Nationals in June? :)

There is a open drag event on Nov 3rd that has me tempted, however, it's about 5 hours away from me. It would be the last hurrah for the Contour before the studded snow tires go on. Tempted, but undecided. I'll let you know. :)

Does anyone know the compression ratio of a 3L hybrid build? I thought I found it somewhere once before, but I couldn't find it again.
The number that I'm thinking of is 11.25:1, but that seems high. Can anyone help?

What would happen if you tried to run high compression ratio pistons in a Hybrid? say 10.5:1 or 11:1 CR pistons from a 3L?

It would push the compression up. Tuning would have to be spot on and you'd need some decent gas.

Hybrid comes in at around: 11.2:1

10.5:1 3L pistons would have to be 11.7:1
11.0:1 3L pistons would have to be 12.2:1

Back