• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L crank pulley removal

SVOFANATIC

Veteran CEG'er
Ok I have done some searching and come up with some really old threads with alot of stale links can someone explain possibly with pix how to get an 02 3.L duratech Crank pulley off? I've broken two sockets and accomplished nothing lol

Yup, righty loosy and lefty tighty for the outer shaft on that pulley. :)

Some heat will help break it loose as well. If all else fails you can cut it up with a angle grinder but it's a huge pain and takes a while.

If you have to go with an angle grinder get some good cut off wheels. Cut the shaft as close to the crank pulley as you can. Then cut it into a pizza. It goes in pretty deep and you'll have to cut into the 3L crank pulley a little bit but it doesn't really matter since it's getting tossed anyway. Once you've clearly cut deep enough you can use a hammer and whack the pieces together to relieve pressure and then spin it loose with a few taps from a screw driver. I'd say every 10th motor we get has to be done this way. It really sucks.

Back