• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2000 SVT bad fuel pump?

My svt has sat for some time with a very small amount of gas in it. The last time I fired it she started right up and sounded great. Yesterday I went to start it up and it wont fire. I sprayed throttle body cleaner into the throttle and it fires right up and then dies after about 5-10 seconds.
I'm assuming its a bad fuel pump. I have a couple questions.
1. Dropping the tank, do you have to do anything with the exhaust? According to alldata it makes no mention of this.
2. Anyone for or against using the Carter P74954M Pump? I noticed that the motorcraft oem S/U: PFS-289 comes with: Rubber O ring, Lock Ring, Convolute, Nylon Lock ring for the fuel neck, rubber grommet for the fuel neck, updated flapper etc. This kit i guess addresses many issues with the Contour Returnless fuel system, including the stuttering/bucking.
Motorcraft can be had for $350 and the carter is $160.00.
3. Anyone in the ohio area willing to give me a hand on the job or any svtc mechanic looking to make some pay dirt?

Car is rust free

also is it necessary to get the updated flapper and the rest of the additional parts that come only with the motorcraft pfs-289? If it is then I guess that is the route I will take.

Take the back seat out and get to it that way, much easier. You do need to cut the floor a small amount but it's hidden so it didn't bother me. I bought an aftermarket pump and haven't had any problems with it. Use the search function, I know there is a thread or two on here that describes how to do it and I think there are some pics too.

Back