• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1999 Control arm replacement - lowering subframe question

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
Obviously the subframe has to be lowered to change out the drive side control arm in order to get the bolt out and in. My question is, will it be low enough to where I don't have to drop it all the way? Also. If I'm just lowering the subframe to the lowest it'll go while retaining the subframe bolts still in but hanging by a few threads, will I have to unbolt the roll resistors or will the subframe still lower enough? I've lowered one side before, but not both. I'm thinking the passenger side needs to stay bolted in but lowered, while the driver side must be dropped.

"I'm thinking the passenger side needs to stay bolted in but lowered, while the driver side must be dropped." and also remove both RRs (roll resistors )

I've done a couple of 2-bolt replacements by just loosening the rear bolt and removing the front one on the drivers side only. Take the studs out of the trans mounts so you can jack up the engine a little as well. Use a pry bar between the trans and the control arm to make the gap as wide as possible.

I ended up dropping the driver side and lowering the passenger side about an inch. Took longer than expect, but I changed the arm out and put everything back together in 1.5 hours. Not too bad. A few snags were just trying to get the bolts loose of course, and jacking the car up :p

I ended up dropping the driver side and lowering the passenger side about an inch. Took longer than expect, but I changed the arm out and put everything back together in 1.5 hours. Not too bad. A few snags were just trying to get the bolts loose of course, and jacking the car up :p
Just be thankful you didn't have a subframe nut spin inside the car or worse one of the front ones. :cool:

Congrats on doing it the right way, most people just cut the bolt and put a new one in upside down.

I've dropped the subframe about 4 times now. The nuts on the other side that are the cabin side are loose but they catch on something so I can tighten it. and I definitely wanted to do it the right way.

Back