• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1998 countour transmission issues!! Help

forcon

New CEG'er
i nave a 1998 countour svt and about a year ago I lost drive so I have to start out in 2nd and get up through that and then go into drive.about a week ago the car started getting sluggish and I had a loss of all gears and the speedometer does work now.when I go in to 2nd the car wants to move but it seems as if the torque converter clutch isn't engaging right. The fluid is clean and doesn't seem to be burnt or smell burnt.i have relaced the range sensor 2 times a because of hard shifting but know I am thinking vss? anyone?

Do you have an ATX or MTX (auto or manual?)

You are discribing an automatic (ATX), which the SVT does not have.

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid? If you take the dipstick out to check the fluid, what color is it? Does it smell like it's burnt?

There is a good chance that your torque converter has taken a crap, but you may also be experiencing clutch pack slippage as well. Reality is that with the amount of work to pull and replace the torque converter you might as well have a transmission rebuild completed too as your cost for labor will not be much more.

If this started happening soon after changing transmission fluid it is probably a result of no longer having the "grit" in the fluid to help with your clutch pack engagement, which was deposited there as the clutch packs wore out. There are products you can buy to add the needed "grit" to provide the necessary friction to have the worn out clutch packs engage, but this is just a temporary fix. You will eventually need a transmission rebuild or replacement in the future if this is the problem.

Thank you,but this still doesn't explain why the speedometer doesn't work. if the vss is no longer working then the transmission will not work as a resul correct? The fluid is nice and red and is not burnt. opinions??

Note: modern scan tools like my craftsman can read speed from the computer directly. Look for a scanner that reads live data. If your speed problem is in the dash this will let you know If the computer "sees" the VSS input. The scanner will let you also check for codes and run the key on and key off Ford system checks.

Thanks again. would anyone happen to know the vss location on this model? Is it on th top in the front of the transmission?

Google search yielded this beauty... http://www.justanswer.com/ford/2u39z-change-vss-1998-ford-contour.html looks like it shows the location and connector fairly well. I've seen wires break on the VSS units a lot, however my experience has always been with the manual transmission units. The automatic transmission appears to use a different sensor looking at the link above as it shows the 3 pin Ampseal connector.

Also you said the fluid is red, but answer me this... how many miles are on the car and when was the transmission fluid serviced last?

As far as whether the transmission will function correctly with the speed sensor going bad, I'm not sure. Someone who has had an ATX car that has worked on the trans would have to answer that. I'm not sure if Ford had a advanced control unit for that transmission that relied on the VSS input to operate correctly. Even if it did I would suspect it would have a default operating condition that would allow the end user to "limp" home if you will.

This trans well known for tearing up and losing gears. Driving it tore up for another year got you that and rare but it may well be time to give it up. The fluid can look very good and trans be blown to smithereens, ask me how I know. The magnet is so awesome you can chisel a pound of ground up steel off it and the fluid still be new looking.

The VSS being bad simply makes the transmission shift very hard, it will still work. BTDT. The ATX one breaks the wires externally too, it gets very hot back there. Pull it and check for gear damage, if damaged the trans is probably junk. After that yank the valve body and air check the forward clutch port, if leaking the trans is dead. Major and I emphasize MAJOR work needed after that.

Back