• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

For Sale 1998.5 Silfro, needs wiring work, selling as is

SVTED

Veteran CEG'er
1998.5 Silfro for sale:

I was trying to sell it for a while, then stuff really hit the fan this week. Driving along, started showing signs of alternator failure so I pull over and turn the car off. Look under the hood and I see the lines coming out of the fuse box and near the ECU/firewall have melted. So it's gonna need some wiring redone or a replacement harness probably.

Just about 220,000 kms on the body, ~150,000 kms on the motor (got it with about 100,000 kms so I put on ~50,000 km). It's seen mostly highway km's - I commuted almost 40 miles and back everyday for a few months. Got the motor from Nima, ran synthetic in it all its life. The last few times I needed anything done, I've taken it to Scott (bagged) and he always gives it a look over whenever it's there.

The positives:

- Still got all the SVT body bits including all jack point covers
- Mechanically sound
- All the electricals are fine as well, including windows/sunroof/etc
- AC blows cold
- Pioneer deck
- Interior holding up fine, no peel on dash
- Had bodywork done on both rocker panels, had all the rust removed and new metal welded in last summer
- Replaced springs and struts not too long ago, definitely within 40,000 kms

The negatives:

- Crack on left bottom corner of windshield
- Will need driver's side axle replaced at some point (still drives fine, started to make a sound when turning left, only audible from outside)
- Parking brake light is on, not exactly sure why, might just need to be readjusted (again, parking brake still works)
- Occasional CEL, haven't seen it in a while though. I got it checked out last time, Nate at bagged told me I need to clean out the part of the UIM that's connected to the TB. I bought the gasket to do this, just never got around to it.

Other notes:

- Resonator has been removed, so it's louder than stock.
- I'll throw in all the extra parts and what not I got for this
-> Winter tires on steelies, probably got another couple of seasons left
-> 17" Wheels I got from CRG racer, tires are done, but wheels are good. No bends or major scratches.
-> Got some odds and ends lying around as well (nothing particularly valuable unfortunately)

So without the big harness issue, the car started, ran and drove just fine until this week.

I think this car is worth more than a CSVT with a blown motor for a 3L transplant. But that's what I think.

OKAY ANOTHER PRICE DROP. $500 OBO. I really need this gone by the end of the week guys.

Last edited:
Sorry about crappy pictures but I just reformatted my computer and it's all i have
Photo-0043.jpg

Photo-0044.jpg

From his last for sale thread ^^^^^

Another price drop. Come on at this point whoever picks it up can part it out for more money. I just don't have the time to do it. Need this gone in the next few days.

Great price for the car with title! Too bad your in Canada and not inflorida I would get it for the parts sorry about your loss but GLWS!

If you can store it till the middle of June we might have a deal. (another 2 to 3 weeks) shoot me a pm and we will work something out

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Transactions done here are at your own risk. CEG is not responsible.

Violations will receive a warning the first time and an infraction subsequent times.
  1. You must be registered for 60 days to post in the classifieds.
  2. Include a price and location.
  3. FS (for sale) or WTB (want to buy). No "feelers."
  4. When an item is sold, post "Sold!" in the topic. This will signal a moderator to lock the thread.
  5. You may post eBay auctions or Craigslist ads only if they are YOURS. Include the list price, location, etc.
  6. If you have multiple items for sale, please divide them up in the correct forums.
  7. Do not cross post your item in multiple areas.
  8. After an agreement has been made, all shipping talk should be via PM. You may put shipping options in the original post.
  9. Do not post negative comments about an item. If somebody wants $20k from a Contour, let them try.
  10. Bumping: After two weeks (14 days), you may post "Bump" to bump your item back to the top. You can post information updates, price changes, etc. at any time.

Last Updated: 7/20/22

Back