• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

16s or 17s for track days?

svt4stv

Hard-core CEG'er
ive got a track day coming up this weekend and i havent really started working on tires till right now.

i have some fsvt wheels i can use. i also have stock csvt wheels too.

on my n/a 3.0 csvt with fsvt front brakes and BIG 2 piece rear brakes. my csvt puts down 220 to the wheels. hp and tq. HMS trans of course.

the stock wheels dont clear the rear brakes. i was thinking about switching them back to stock rears (for now, later the NPG kit) that i have in the garage. this 2 piece rotor kit seems more bling than anything. any thoughts?

i was planning to have some custom wheels made for the car but havent even started on it yet and dont have time now for this weekend. i was thinking 17x8 but im wondering if 16x8 would be better? id have to switch the rear brakes to stocks/NPG but if would be better to run 16x8s ill do it.

is it better to run 16x8s instead of 17x8s?
would it be worth it if i have to swap my rear brakes out?

any suggestions on tires and sizes? these would be mostly just track day wheels/tires. ill be running 18s or 19s on the the street. BUT, id like to keep them at/around $150 per tire or less. right now, not looking to spend $200-$300 per tire. maybe later..

my buddy is suggesting the Nitto NT01s but i read something about heat cycling them?

by any chance does anyone know what the OD of the fsvt brakes are? including the calipers?

im leaning more towards 17s becuase it appears there are far more tires to choose from but 16s are doable if they'll be more advantageous.

the Hankook Ventus R-S3 looks pretty good too and is available in both diameters. fairly cheap too. only $100 a pop in 16".

16s will have a taller sidewall for the same diameter tire. that means more sidewall squish/tire roll. now, some squish is good, but you will still have some with the 17s, just less than the 16s. the 17s will likely be the faster tire.

I think the 16's (tires) would weigh less than the 17's, but like Dan said, the sidewall deflection would be a lot less in the 17's, meaning better turn in and transitional response. Also, the stock SVTC wheels are around 3 lbs less per wheel than the SVTF's. The 16" tires will be cheaper, 17's will have more options. You can also put down more rubber with the 17's (depending on tire size.. i.e. 235/40/17)

Also, get rid of those 2 piece big rear brakes (I'm assuming TCE?). Your brake balance will be off with just the SVTF rotors up front.

Anyway back to tires.. If all you care about is tracking the car and saving money, go with the 16's. If you care about lap times, go with the 17's.

Last edited:
yeah theyre the TCE "big brake" kit. my buddy bought them while he owned the car for a while. i wasnt going to just leave stock rear brakes. i would do the NPG front brake relocation kit.

the stock wheels would just be for this weekend. after that, ill have some custom wheels made up and whatever diameter they are they'll be 8" wide so i can get a wider foot print. i think i probably will go with the 17s.

Back