• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

04 rx8 details.

MarcMiller

Veteran CEG'er
well ive had my car for about 2 months now...havent had many problems..

i was an idiot and gave it 87 gas and that caused a few problems but i figured it all out.

i recently installed an AEM CAI on my 8 and boy this intake craps on my last k&n intake.
its really loud.

maybe one of these days we can get a meet somewhere around me...cars gas milage is horrible driving 2 hours will cost me 2 tanks haha.

ill keep yous all posted on it..still working on saving and paying the bills before i do anymore mods.

Make sure you drive it like you stole it! I drove mine like a grandma trying to get better mileage out it (I managed 25 once!) and the cat fouled so badly it needed to be replaced. I'm sure you're well-schooled on the rotary, but if you have questions specific to the '04 RX-8, send me a PM. I would suggest oil cooler and radiator guards - they're pretty easy to install, and they'll save your radiators from getting dinged by rocks. They're woven aluminum, good quality, and really sturdy. Here's a pic. You can't see the radiator guard, it's up under and behind the front plate, but you can see the oil cooler guards below the headlights:

DSCN0644.jpg

Last edited:
yeah man i know of the carbon buildup and the flood issues.
im slowly learning more about it each day...im on an rx8 forum too so alot of people on there help me out.

Someone from their actually helped me install my intake..alot of good guys on there

yeah man i know of the carbon buildup and the flood issues.
im slowly learning more about it each day...im on an rx8 forum too so alot of people on there help me out.

Someone from their actually helped me install my intake..alot of good guys on there

Thats a great site. My buddy has an RX-8 and has learned a lot on there. That car is incredibly fun. I don't understand when people complain about them. If you know what your doing, the car will treat you very well.

I don't understand when people complain about them. If you know what your doing, the car will treat you very well.

Yes, people complain about them because they didn't really understand what they were getting into - sometimes. I complain about mine because it was in the shop more than I drove it. I owned it for about two years, drove it daily for about 16 months, and in that 16 months, I had to have it towed 3 times for flooding. The first time, the Mazda service techs told me to rev it to redline every time I drove, which I did faithfully. That didn't work either. I had to have it towed twice more. I also want to put out there that it was not operator error - I drove this car 30 miles to work, 30 miles home, and it didn't start the next day. The last time it flooded, I had a neighbor help me tow-start it because I couldn't take another 35-mile tow bill. He pulled me in that car for 6 blocks before it started.

My list of complaints....

Condensation in taillights requiring replacement.
Broken dash buttons (at 14,000 miles).
Chintzy sun visors - passenger side was replaced once, driver's side was replaced 4 times.
Flooding issues that were not due to cold shut-downs and would not respond to the de-flooding procedure Mazda sent out.
Broken e-brake handle.
Extreme power loss when the engine was hot - so much that cruise would turn off on a highway overpass hill - maybe a 3% grade? In attempting to reproduce this problem, the dealer had the car for 6 weeks, put almost 1000 miles on it, and when I called to check, they told me that they didn't have any luck - they couldn't reproduce it, and Mazda wouldn't authorize exploratory surgery under warranty.
Underbody panels came loose due to faulty fasteners and ate a $250 tire before they could order and install replacement fasteners at the dealership.

This all happened on a car with less than 50,000 miles. I bought it with 14,000, and sold it at 49,750.

When the car was running, it was an absolute BLAST to drive. I had more fun in this car than any other I've owned (save for the SVTs). It was well-balanced, the transmission was amazing, and everything about it was communicative - steering, braking, handling. It was easy to break the rear tires loose, but equally easy to get it to come back into line with very little drama. The brakes were astonishing - I've never driven a car that stops faster.

I hope you're really happy with yours - I could have been, but I think I just got a lemon-flavored one. Not a true lemon, but almost.

Make sure you drive it like you stole it! I drove mine like a grandma trying to get better mileage out it (I managed 25 once!) and the cat fouled so badly it needed to be replaced.

No kidding. What's the point of having a 8k+ redline if you don't enjoy it? The first week I had my 7 I had trouble making myself get much over 4k. By the end of week two, 6500 was pretty much me treading lightly. :D There's definitely a steep learning curve with the rotary.

Alien: after reading your list of gripes, I find it sad that Mazda is still going cheap on the interiors. Broken switchgear and trim has been an issue all the way back. Looks like they've managed to screw that up on every single generation of the RX. :nonono: You'd think they'd have the flooding issue figured out by now too.

Back