• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Premium Fuel and Octane Booster

sweetsvt

CEG'er
I'm curious if anyone has used premium fuel combined with octane booster. I saw a booster at autozone claiming it will raise the octane level to 106 or so and I'm curious as to what that will be like combined with premium fuel. Has anyone done this? I apologize in advance, if this is already posted somewhere, but I wasn't able to find anything this specific.

there's no reason to unless your car is specifically tuned to run with that. otherwise, you'll probably fugg up your car.

First of all, it wont raise your octane to 106. Secondly, for a car thats tuned for 91 octane from the factory, raising the octane will do nothing, unless of course, your car is pinging.

IIRC the computer doesn't even read that it is 106, it can't tell unless it is tuned to do that. I think that was covered in the above post. Higher octane helps so that it does not knock.

To be ALMOST specific, octane booster only raises the fuel "octane" by like a half a point, so say you filled up with 91, and used ALL of the "octane booster" you would only get like 91.5 final...... IF even that. probably less.

actually that 'octane booster' is just some snake oil injector cleaner crap. It only works if you have regular, this will sorta, SORTA make it feel like premium gas (i'm being very liberal here). Don't believe that any one chemical is the cure all.

To be ALMOST specific, octane booster only raises the fuel "octane" by like a half a point, so say you filled up with 91, and used ALL of the "octane booster" you would only get like 91.5 final...... IF even that. probably less.
It depends on which one you buy. It takes ten 'points' to equal one octane. I think the NOS brand one (expensive) at autozone does raise the octane a good bit. But it won't be of any use to most the cars on this forum.

If ya wanna raise your octane read up on toulene or xylene. Thats what those turbo people use. I was about to use it, then i heard it wrecks seals and stuff, and you gotta mix it with mystery oil n stuff so i got the heebie jeebs and decided not to.

Last edited:
Kremit,

Doesn't it take ten "points" per gallon of fuel though?

or.. ten gallons, it may have been. Either way, I remember laughing while reading those bottles thinking that you'd have to dump something like 5 to 10 bottles of the stuff in there to raise it from 87 to 92ish.

It was funny stuff, whatever it was that I can't remember. LOL :crazy:

call it a placebo effect but when I drove my 98 GL I would put somesort of injector cleaner/octane booster everytime i filled the car and it ran better..(not in the quarter mile or anything but it had better pick up. my .02

I figure, if any of the big name companies make it, pennzoil, valvoline, etc, than it cant be too bad for the car.

It depends on which one you buy. It takes ten 'points' to equal one octane. I think the NOS brand one (expensive) at autozone does raise the octane a good bit. But it won't be of any use to most the cars on this forum.

i dont think we need it, just buy the premium or go to the racetrack or special dealer and get 103 octane gas or whatever it is.

i dont think we need it, just buy the premium or go to the racetrack or special dealer and get 103 octane gas or whatever it is.

Your just throwing your money down the toilet buying high octane gas. Putting 103 octane in a car thats tuned for 91 octane will gain you ZERO hp, unless your detonating as it is on 91 octane. In fact, in some cases it will cause your car to run worse.

And..... the point of 103 on a stock, or lightly modified (hell, even a HEAVILY modified engine would be...........................????

OCTANE AVOIDS DETONATION

Unless you are running cylinder pressures, heat or timing enough to detonate... you are WASTING YOUR MONEY. You do not "get" performance from octane.. you detonation avoidance, which in TURN allows you to INCREASE pressures, timing, etc, and IN THAT RESPECT you gain power... simply dumping a minute amount of "octane booster" or even straight 103 is NOT GAINING ANYTHING.

Ya, even though our svt dash says premium fuel only and we know prem is 92, and reg is 87, if you swear by premium, and hate reg 87, wouldnt it make sense that raising the 92 more would "combust" better in a svt? but where is the amount that "is teh best" for our car then? 95 wouldnt help?

You really don't understand.

OCTANE DOES NOT ADD POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Running more octane than you need does nothing more than lighten your wallet.

Ray explained it best. Higher octane may be needed if you have done something to the engine to increase cylinder pressure above stock. Higher octane may also be needed if the car is not well maintained and has a lot of combustion chamber carbon build up causing additional cylinder pressure as well as carbon hot spots.

I know that I get blasted every time I post it, but my SVT runs just as well on 87 as it does on 91 (California's premium). I have had it since it was new. I agressively maintain it so there is minimal carbon. With 225,000 miles on it it has maybe had 20 tanks of premium. I am an agressive driver and made my living for several years tuning high performance engines so I'm very familiar with octane requirements.

By the way, I'm disappointed that my SVT was not factory tuned to require premium fuel (even though the literature says it does). I'm sure it would run better if ignition timing were a bit more agressive. But it doesn't benefit from higher octane so I don't pay for it. That is not to say that all SVTs would behave the same.

I realize this thread is old, but I had a question about octane booster. I have a bunch of STP octane booster at my house and since no one is using it, I was wondering if adding this to my Mystique would possibly wreck it in any way?:shrug:

Should I put it in my car or just let it gather dust?

let it gather dust. its just a mystique, you dont need the raised octane

I don't really care about performance increase if thats what your saying, but it supposedly cleans out the injectors or something. Would this be good for my car or is the claim that it cleans most likely a bunch of crap.

take them to walmart and get some money put on a store card, assuming u've got no receipt.

This is probably a stupid question but can you really return stuff that you didn't buy from them?:shrug:

Back