• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

deja vu all over again: bought another one

blake

CEG'er
long long ago, i was the first owner of a silver frost 98.5 E1 CSVT. after 3.5 years of enjoyment i got the new-car itch and traded it in on a new '02 acura rsx type s....and several cars and several years later i STILL miss it. honestly, it's the only car i regret getting rid of - i've since gone through the RSX-S, a G35 coupe, a miata, and a couple of grand cherokees....and yet i found myself continually trolling craigslist, ebay, autotrader, and the CEG classifieds for the right opportunity to get another CSVT. call it nostalgia, or perhaps just the lingering impression of "specialness" that the CSVT left me with...but i couldn't shake it.

i've e-tire-kicked a number of good possibilities but nothing ever worked out in my favor - the low-mileage creampuffs i really wanted were either way out of my admittedly too-modest budget or they sold before i could follow up on them, and i really didn't want to buy a potential "problem child".

last weekend i saw a craigslist ad for a silver frost E0 and recognized the contact information as belonging to a friend of mine whose wife bought the car when we were still in college. the mileage was a bit higher than i'd wanted (97k) but it was priced VERY attractively, and the "known history" sealed the deal. i brought her home this afternoon after striking a deal 2 days ago...and can't wait for the next excuse to go for a drive.

it has a few age- and mileage-typical minor bumps & bruises, but you'll never know it from the pics i'll post later...and really it just needs a good detailing, some touch-up work, and a few other odds and ends to be all i could ask for. the A/C is not blowing cold despite a full freon charge, so i'll need to trouble shoot that, and i need to replace the foglight bulbs, tinker with the retractable antenna a bit, and things of that nature. it's never been modified and never had any problems at all - just needed routine maintenance over the years.

but, anyhoo - to avoid making a long story longer...suffice it to say i'm excited to be a CSVT owner again. hitting the secondaries this afternoon & hearing the duratec sing....ahhh. it's been a while, but no less sweet!

(i do need to call SVT next week to see if i can find out the build number - my friend's copy of the original certificate is AWOL...)

I'm with you, I came back as well. After driving some pretty nice new cars for several years, here I am with a 160,000 mile CSVT and love driving to work everyday.

here are a few pics taken this afternoon. it's a solid 10-footer - looks great in pics and from 10-15' away....up close, you start to pick up on the fact that it has nearly 100k miles and hasn't been 'babied' for the last few years. a few dings, some roughly touched-up scars on the bumpers, curb rash on the bottom of the front bumper, and road rash at the door bottoms....but nothing terrible.

this weekend i cleaned the TB, changed the fuel filter, and broke the sunroof motor cover brackets. :( whoops. next up: new antenna mast, new sunroof gear/motor, O2 sensor to clear the CEL, and a few other odds & ends. definitely need to get the a/c fixed as well - july in alabama is too freakin' hot to be drivin' around w/ no a/c!!! it'll also need tires before too long, and maybe front brakes before the year's out....hope it doesn't nickel-and-dime me to death!! LOL

DSC07339.jpg

DSC07340.jpg

DSC07342.jpg

DSC07343.jpg

DSC07341.jpg

Back