• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shortened shifters vs. short shifters

sorry, I remembered hearing it was 4.08, I've been saying that for years now, thanks for the heads up.

I did think it was wierd CFM was offering 4.06 final drive conversions, I was thinking in my head "why would somebody do that when there are 4.08's in the junkyard???"

dur da dur

I've got my stock shifter and reverse lockout mechanism if anyone wants a spare to play with.

(I also used to play with my reverse lockout at stoplights, lol)

when you fit the riser plate, do you have to use longer studs to fix the shifter box down ? how much longer ? ..G.

when you fit the riser plate, do you have to use longer studs to fix the shifter box down ? how much longer ? ..G.
your talking about with the metal shifter base? if so, the CFM kit supplies the longer bolts so im not positive how much longer they are. based on the height of the riser though i would guess about at least 1/2" longer, maybe more.

Hi dan; are they 10mm bolts ? I could just get some long ones and cut them to length. I haven't started yet so i can't measure anything. I'm going to cut and weld a spare stock stick i picked up. I want it to look stock but shift right. ...G.

The bolts I got with my CFM kit still really weren't long enough, considering you have to use the extra washers below the riser plate. I actually had some old intake manifold bolts laying around...that's what I used.

The bolts I got with my CFM kit still really weren't long enough, considering you have to use the extra washers below the riser plate. I actually had some old intake manifold bolts laying around...that's what I used.
great, .. now i can just whip one of those out of the intake and use it to get what i need .. thanks T. EDIT just found this http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=9082 for anyone else needing info.

Why put a washer under the riser plate?

Why put a washer under the riser plate?
cause the riser plate is made for the focus not the contour so there is a little extra needed for it to work.............

The riser plates that were made by the ceger for the steeda shifter dont need them but the cfm supplied one does.

cause the riser plate is made for the focus not the contour so there is a little extra needed for it to work.............

The riser plates that were made by the ceger for the steeda shifter dont need them but the cfm supplied one does.
and the only reason the CFM supplied one does (as the riser plates are the same thickness) is because the length below the pivot ball on the CFM shifter is longer than the Steeda shifter, which is why the CFM has even shorter throws.

so if i'm gonna make a riser plate .. what would the right thickness be ? I'm gonna extend my stockie the same amount (15mm ?) as the CFM... G.

you can see in my picture here that the CFM is 10mm longer than stock. I would make the riser plate probably about 12 or 13mm tall.

SSPX0269.jpg

thanks Dan. I toyed with the idea of making it even longer between pivot and ball. How far beyond the selector gate does the shifter move with a short shifter ..half the normal distance ? ...G.

thanks Dan. I toyed with the idea of making it even longer between pivot and ball. How far beyond the selector gate does the shifter move with a short shifter ..half the normal distance ? ...G.
im not really sure. i know with the shifter all the way up, the distance from 3rd to 4th is about 3" or less :laugh:

im not really sure. i know with the shifter all the way up, the distance from 3rd to 4th is about 3" or less :laugh:

I'm still running my CFM at lowest height and absolutely love it. It just feels so much more sporty and crisp. It's more like a wrist flip now, lol.

I'm still running my CFM at lowest height and absolutely love it. It just feels so much more sporty and crisp. It's more like a wrist flip now, lol.
i am too, i just remember measuring the distance when i first installed it and had the shifter all the way up.

Back