• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LETS PLAY A GAME!!! Name that Motor!!

Morbius

CEG'er
So I'm new, and I was told that the motor in the car I just got might be a 3liter. Is it? How can I tell? What physical diffrence is there between the 2.5 and the 3? My motor has no badges, emblems that I can find.

Here is a pick, let the games begin! :laugh:

PICT6058.JPG

ok..so...

ok..so...

Where is the engine vin, or something to indentify a samble motor from a cougar or an 03 from an 05.

How can I find out what motor this is.... more importantly what parts do I get. Do the 2.5 and 3.0 use the same spark plugs, water pump ect?

Look on the left side of the front valve cover. That sould have a sticker that tells you what year that engine is.

more info...

more info...

1998 Ford Contour SVT

Left side valve cover stick...lol... sure here it is... 2.5 liter valve covers? How can you tell what is the diffrence? Oil fill cap location?
PICT6064.JPG

PICT6054.JPG

No id code or tag anywhere on the engine block? I found one on the transmision. But I havn't seen anything on the engine.

What is an IMRC?? Not tunned, hmm... I assumed that because there is no mufflers was the reason the car has no power untill 4k rpm. But at 4k rpm, the car takes off. So who what when where and how do I get it tuned?

Your ECU is currently set up for a 2.5 engine with the split port intake manifold. The split port manifold restricted air down low for more torque, so its not tuned well for all that extra air down low. The IMRC is that metal square on you valve cover that looks like its connected to nothing, or a spring I cant tell to well from the pic. Its what limits air coming into the engine at lower RPMS.

You should order a tune from nautilus, he does good work, I'm using a tune from him on my 3l. It costs quite a bit though $500, but it made all the difference in the world.

http://www.nautilusperformance.com/

What is an IMRC?? Not tunned, hmm... I assumed that because there is no mufflers was the reason the car has no power untill 4k rpm. But at 4k rpm, the car takes off. So who what when where and how do I get it tuned?

IMRC=Intake Manifold Runner Control... As said before the 2.5L has the split port intake. That engine has 2 intake runners to each cylinder. Long runner for idle to ~3400 rpm and Short runner for ~3400 to redline.

A full 3L is an oval port engine with one runner per cylinder. So, your ECU doesnt know how to control the engine properly until ~3400 rpm cause thats roughly when the secondaries from the 2.5L would open up...

.so...

.so...

Is there a cheaper fix or tune than $500. I don't need max hp, but a little bet more acceleration below 4k rpm would be very nice, and I'm guessing better fuel millage.

Is that the one and only place/guy that has a tune for it?

hmmm...

hmmm...

Why does everyone flash the cpu instead of replacing it with a 3L cpu?

Why would the previous owner of my car used the 2.5 valve cover? What is the benefit?

Would it be cheaper or better to put a 2.5 liter intake manifold on.

I have been searching(hidden forum prank not helping) to find info and the 3l and hybrids people are doing. But real info is here and there and little in between.

I find it amazing there is no id number on the engine to identify it.

Hehe

Hehe

Lookie what I found!!

AS7U3 and RF-YL8E-63064-BB

There are located on the front of the motor to the left and right. I had to use a mirror to see em as the are down on the head just under the valve cover.

Cast# RF-YL8E
Google brings up a 2001 mercury sable and a 2002 Mazda Tribute lx
Both Google hits are rockauto.com links.

also...right cyclinder head casting number is YF1E and the left is RF-YL8E

Still haven't figured out.... 2.4 vs 3.0 same water pumps, spark plugs ect? Do all 3.0 duratec's use the same plugs? What do I ask for at the parts counter?

Back