• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What to go with?

Thanks a lot for the pics. I guess that I should just go with flipping my taurus rail around and using that. Should I also just stick with my taurus oil pan as well? I could get the complete escape engine for $100.00. I wondered if it would be worth it to just get it.
Do all the escape oil pans have the bottom 2 bolt holes like I'll need?

I'm sorry about all the questions on this subject. I just keep seeing that going with an escape engine is the best or easiest route to go. I wondered if this would be the simplest way to make mine basically an escape version without the higher cost of the escape engine. For $100.00, if it makes it look cleaner and the oil pan is better I'd go with it.

Sorry I'm being so anal about this, Brian....................:crazy:

Brapple, you have an escape hybrid, correct? why did you choose the escape block as well as the hybrid? also what would you think is the easiest way to go, port matched or hybrid? and which injectors do you run with the hybrid set up, stock SVT?

This thread (link: here) seems to say that the Escape pan will bolt up and requries the Contour pick-up and dipstick tube, and the Taurus pan will need a couple of bolts drilled, but you don't have to pull the pan off which makes things easier. Someone with more info will probably chime in, though.

Brapple, you have an escape hybrid, correct? why did you choose the escape block as well as the hybrid? also what would you think is the easiest way to go, port matched or hybrid? and which injectors do you run with the hybrid set up, stock SVT?

nope. I have a ported 3L from a sable. I got the escape oil pan and matching pickup.

port matched would be easier. the hybrid is kinda old hat at this point. plus with the ported setup you don't have to remove the heads.

when I did my swap I was already running a SVT PCM and injectors so that is what I used. you can stay with your stock 17# se injectors but I would recommend 19# at a minimum with a SVT pcm or a tune.

oh... okay. for some reason when i was in mass with you and greg, i though tou mentioned you had a escape hybrid in tour SeVT. As for the port matched, i was thinking the same thing with the heads and all. i probly would get the 19# injectors, just wondering what you thought from experience. and as for the PCM and tune, which do you believe would make more sence(power and price)

as mr my options right now, i can either save up a little, get an SVT in need of motor work and 3L it, or work on the sport and either rebuild my trans or buy a junk yard one. cause if im doing a 3L i will deff be fixing the transmission you and greg helpedd with. i could go both ways because you saw the body and know its in need of paint and slight surface rust removal. BUT greg said the undercarrage was VERY clean which makes me lean toward my car instead of an SVT

as for pcm vs tune .... a tune would be the overall best solution and that can be done with your pcm. now a 3L will run well on a SVT PCM. you should be able to get a SVT pcm and key(s) for alot less then a tune, dyno or xcal. so its all about what and when you want to do things.

where would i get a PCM and keys? a junk yard wouldnt have the keys would they? how hard would changing the pcm be anyways. i mean a tune all i would have to do is plug and play right?

where would i get a PCM and keys? a junk yard wouldnt have the keys would they? how hard would changing the pcm be anyways. i mean a tune all i would have to do is plug and play right?

i would look for someone parting out a car to get a pcm and keys. actually all you need are the pats chips out of the keys.

swapping the pcm or flashing a tune to the pcm are both rather quick to do.

as for the tune it wouldn't be plug and play like the pcm. well once the finaly tune is nailed down it would be. you either dyno tune the car or if you get a tune from NPG you datalog and then get the tune refined.

nice read, thanks. the only thing he didnt cover that brapple mentioned is actually changing the PCM, but i thnk Ray was assuming that the 3L is goign in an SvT?

nice read, thanks. the only thing he didnt cover that brapple mentioned is actually changing the PCM, but i thnk Ray was assuming that the 3L is goign in an SvT?

installing a svt pcm into a non-svt car really isn't tuning the car, its just a work around. the svt i beleive has more agressive timing since its "tuned" for the hotter cams, premium fuel, etc. its one way of getting a better "tune" instead of paying for a full dyno tune or tuning the pcm via an xcal

I didn't really ever need to install the SVT pcm but I upgraded to the 19# injectors and eventually put in the SVT cams. it also was better on the a/f ratio. I tried it after some other had also, and they showed some power gains.

but ultimately going with the turbo any pcm that was in the car could have been tuned to work. Only plus side is more tuning has been done on the SVT codes so it could be easier for the tuner then working with an SE pcm code.

what injectors come in the taurus mator, could i just use those? and how much power gains did you get from the SVT cams? also, what throttle body did you use, svt, se, or the one from the 3L?

what injectors come in the taurus mator, could i just use those? and how much power gains did you get from the SVT cams? also, what throttle body did you use, svt, se, or the one from the 3L?

comes with 24# injectors. to use those you would have to splice the connectors to the harness on your car.

difference between the 3L cams and SVT cams is where the power is. The 3L cams would be like your SE cams where the SVT cams have more top end. in my 2.5l I went from 156 hp to 172 hp and 150 torque to 169 ... but that is also dyno jet to mustang dyno numbers.

if you go straight 3L you use the 3L tb. I got and am using an optomized SVT tb.

I've heard anywhere from 21-24# injectors from the Taurus motors. The 3.0 and SVT throttle bodies aren't interchangeable - you have to pick one that matches your intake manifold. The SVT and 3.0 throttle bodies are the same diameter, however (correct?), so either one is fine. If you stick with the 2.5 UIM and LIM, though, an SVT throttle body is preferred over the SE unit.

difference between the 3L cams and SVT cams is where the power is. The 3L cams would be like your SE cams where the SVT cams have more top end. in my 2.5l I went from 156 hp to 172 hp and 150 torque to 169 ... but that is also dyno jet to mustang dyno numbers.

is that with the 3L or is that with just the SVT cams in the SE? ill prob go with a SVT TB... or optimized SVT TB

From what I have read, the 04+ 3.0L cams are the most like the SVT cams out of all of them.

what about the older motors? how are the cams in that? i probly wont change the cams but im just wondering about what the best set up would be incase i change them at one point

what about the older motors? how are the cams in that? i probly wont change the cams but im just wondering about what the best set up would be incase i change them at one point

I honestly wouldn't worry about the cams at all. The SVT cams will get you higher HP numbers but the 3.0L cams will give you more torque. Pud had both in this car and he said the full 3.0L with 3.0L cams win hands down. Besides it is just that much easier to swap when you don't have to screw around with that stuff.

Back