• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

high engine rev and weird shifting

jdfet

CEG'er
96 tour 2.0 AT
For some reason, the engine is reving high. It is causing the trans to shift incorrectly. What is the relation here? If I step on the accelerator while in nuetral and rolling, it revs high and I cant just hit the pedal and bring it down. If I put it in drive and go, the trans wont shift until I let off of the accelerator and let it ride for a moment, then it shifts. I accelerate again and have to back off so the rev will come down enough to shift into the next gear. I have no tach so I cant tell you how high it revs but its very high!!
Is there some kind of shifting sensor?
There are also times when the engine will stumble alot. It throws the engine light, but after a few days of driving it, the light goes out and it runs smoothly, no probs. Related maybe?

96 tour 2.0 AT
For some reason, the engine is reving high. It is causing the trans to shift incorrectly. What is the relation here? If I step on the accelerator while in nuetral and rolling, it revs high and I cant just hit the pedal and bring it down. If I put it in drive and go, the trans wont shift until I let off of the accelerator and let it ride for a moment, then it shifts. I accelerate again and have to back off so the rev will come down enough to shift into the next gear. I have no tach so I cant tell you how high it revs but its very high!!
Is there some kind of shifting sensor?
There are also times when the engine will stumble alot. It throws the engine light, but after a few days of driving it, the light goes out and it runs smoothly, no probs. Related maybe?

Maybe bad TPS or harness/connection. See if you can get a code, might have a pending stored even with the CEL off.

no trans codes from autozone

no trans codes from autozone

Autozone and others won't be able to pull trans codes. The description of your shifting sounds alot like mine when the 2nd and 4th band broke. When this happened, my check the OD light would start flashing. Or not.

a faulty TSS (or TRS transmission range sensor) or broken wiring etc to it will cause erratic shifting, bang-shifting from one gear to the next, etc, from high pressure in body.

Search the forums for "bang-shift" or "bang shift" etc and see what you can find.

AutoZone work? I dont have a scanner of my own.

I would go by autozone they can pull code. Do I follow you correctly about the rev that it's doing it no matter what in or out of gear? When you start it up does it rev right up?

Yes, it revs right up. It will eventually (sometimes) come down a bit but not to where it should be. This morning for instance, when it finally came down, it proceeded to surge up and down for a while.
I am not ready to believe its the trans yet. On my way into work this a.m. it was doing the same thing it was doing 2 days ago when I last drove it. When I start out and accelerate, the engine will rev itself to death until I let off of the pedal for about 2 seconds, then it will shift to the next gear. This is the same with each gear. If I were to push the pedal down a little bit after it has changed gears, it will drop back down into the previous gear and just scream until I let off of the pedal again for about 2 seconds so it will shift.
If I accelerate very slowly, it will go through the gears smoothly.
Thoughts?

Hey I see you have another thread started for PS psi sensor... Is this sensor unplugged? Did all start around the sametime? That sensor tells the computer to idle up the engine because of the load put on the engine from the pump while idle and turning the wheel. This could be your problem if the computer is getting no input it might be commanding the IAC anyway to open....

Now thats an interesting idea! During this last bout of the engine and shifting acting up, the wiring was unplugged until I could get another sensor. I got the new (used) PS sensor today and hooked it up. No problems at all after that. hmmmmmmm. Seems to shift fine. I will know more as I drive it this weekend.
This shifting and rev did happen before but that could have been because the sensor was bad then to? Again, the sensor was leaking fluid.... could the lack of pressure or the lack of recognizing 'full pressure' by the computer have caused a like issue?
Nice thinking! Thanks.

Now thats an interesting idea! During this last bout of the engine and shifting acting up, the wiring was unplugged until I could get another sensor. I got the new (used) PS sensor today and hooked it up. No problems at all after that. hmmmmmmm. Seems to shift fine. I will know more as I drive it this weekend.
This shifting and rev did happen before but that could have been because the sensor was bad then to? Again, the sensor was leaking fluid.... could the lack of pressure or the lack of recognizing 'full pressure' by the computer have caused a like issue?
Nice thinking! Thanks.

Yes if that sensor was not working. When you come off the gas the computer must have been thinking it was getting a input from the sensor and figured to idle up the engine, it keep seeing the load and was commanding the IAC to open fully. It does sound like you got it, if it's not reving anymore on start.

Well all seems to be well with the shifting and rev now. Thanks jd2-98s!! Until that thought, I kept hearing that "the trans was going" from many.
Thanks!!
Now I have to figure out how to trouble shoot the battery light. I think something happened when I pressure washed the underneath the hood. No worries though, I will search the faq's
Thanks again!!!

Back