• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stripped caliper pins

hourang

CEG'er
has anyone successfully removed stripped caliper pins? i gave up and didnt replace them. the caliper still slides in and out fine so i just figured i would mess with it some other time.

You can either use a bolt extractor, or some vice grips around the shaft to get it loose if you need to. A little heat (not too much though) and penetrating oil at the bracket where it threads in will help loosen up any threadlocking compound, or corrosion. Worst case, you can weld a large nut to the end of the pin and use that to wrench it off.

If the pins are still straight, and the finish is still smooth and good for a free sliding caliper, I'd leave them in place.

You can either use a bolt extractor, or some vice grips around the shaft to get it loose if you need to. A little heat (not too much though) and penetrating oil at the bracket where it threads in will help loosen up any threadlocking compound, or corrosion. Worst case, you can weld a large nut to the end of the pin and use that to wrench it off.

If the pins are still straight, and the finish is still smooth and good for a free sliding caliper, I'd leave them in place.

yeah i didnt mess with it much but i did try vice grips but it just slides since its so smooth. tried tightening the vice grips as much i could too. didnt try any penetrating oil though. ill probably just leave it alone until i have to replace the calipers or something. is there a better caliper for the zetec?

You can replace them w/ CSVT calipers and rotors, that's about the easiest way to go. The calipers themselves are the same, but the anchor brackets are different.

You can replace them w/ CSVT calipers and rotors, that's about the easiest way to go. The calipers themselves are the same, but the anchor brackets are different.

so just stock replacement calipers with csvt brackets and rotors? will they fit on stock sport wheels? i believe their 15".

Back