• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How do you Dynamat a door?

When using the 8" subs in the doors, do you still use the rear subs, or are they more for just pounding the glass? With a baby on the way, I am likely going to have to take the subs out of the trunk, so I am wondering if going the 8" route would give enough bass.

The subs in the trunk were never on, other than to do a 3 second burp at competitions to get an spl score. When the 12's were on, everything up front was off. When everything up front was on, the 12's were off.

I have not had the 12" subs or their enclosure in the car since I took them out for a track day last October. They are sitting in my garage.

So you do get good enough bass from the 8" subs...

"enough" is so subjective, that it is impossible for me to answer your question for your application.

For me, accurate, musical, and appropriate bass is "enough". They can play somewhat loud (119 db has been measured on accident) and they can play really low (20 Hz is no problem).

If "enough" bass to you means something different, something that will shake the ground and be heard 3 blocks away without regard to musical balance, then no these 8's will not be "enough".

The 8's are used as the low range in an sq setup in the car, not for the hard hitting bass.

I don't know if those would fit in the Contour's doors.. lol I wouldn't be able to use them, as they cost an arm and a leg. I may have to give up one of my first born children as well.

Definitely look good for ported and/or small/med sealed applications though.

Beautiful install job

Beautiful install job

Hi all,

I'm new here, but I had to pop in and comment on Bob's install job. Beautiful! (And using JLs, too!)

I ran a mobile DJ company for fifteen years, and used to help my DJ partner in IASCA competitions in the early 90s. He had a 1990 Suzuki Swift GT that we (eventually) did a completely stealth install with, i.e. sitting in the car, you'd never know it wasn't a stock sound system until he turned it on. Like the pictures shown here, we basically wallpapered the inside of the doors with Dynamat.

I couldn't agree more with Bob's emphasis on the musicality of a sound system, as opposed to just its SPL or ground-shaking bass. One of the nicest things about a well-tuned aftermarket audio system is that you can listen well at low volumes. The sound is clear and well-reproduced, and you can listen to it in traffic without hurting your ears.

We were always fans of JL Audio and KEF speakers, notably because both brands provided not only great sound but models that were compatible with a shallow mounting depth (Swifts are tiny). Nice to see that JL, at least, is still producing such models.

Bob, I'd be interested in details about your sound system, if you're willing to provide them. I'm no longer interested in competition, but I would like to replace the useless stock sound system with something more appropriate.

P.S. Our DJ subs were JBL 2241H drivers in Network Audio boxes, dual-ported with the ports tuned to 50(?) Hz. A little excessive for car audio; you could block one of the ports, put a Coke can in the other, and using certain CDs could generate enough air pressure to launch the Coke can 4-6 feet. =)

DAMN:drool:
those are some sick picture...very nice detailed work...finally someone who know a real setup done right....did you make the box yourself? what thickness plexi glass did you use....love the car man good job....

DAMN:drool:
those are some sick picture...very nice detailed work...finally someone who know a real setup done right....did you make the box yourself? what thickness plexi glass did you use....love the car man good job....

Thanks.

I didn't do the install on the car, though I helped with the design. A friend of mine owned his own install shop and did it. I do all the system tuning to make it sound good though.

The clear piece on the back of the box is 3/4" lexan, not plexiglass.

Bob, I'd be interested in details about your sound system, if you're willing to provide them.

If you need more information on my car than what is in the magazine article linked in post #20 in this thread, just send me a pm. I'll be more than happy to answer what I can.

Back