• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Duratec Supercharger install

Blackcoog

Hard-core CEG'er
I finally decided got some time to install our supercharger kit on a SVT Contour. It's a 1999 3L SVT Contour that will eventually be my daily driver. The kit is the base kit on our site that will put out around 6psi. There is no intercooler or BOV as recommended by vortech for this psi range. Dyno numbers should be exactly the same as the previous vortech kits as it's the same head unit (spins CCW though instead or CW). You have no shaft that will fail like on Vortech's kits. Running a front mount intercooler is as easy as swapping out a straight pipe for an intercooler.

So far things have been going great. The supercharger fits under the Contour hood. :laugh: The aluminum coolant tank worked out great. A huge plus was keeping the battery up front even with the intake piping and coolant tank next to it. I switched to a smaller battery I found at Walmart. It is not possible to use a DMD with this kit. The DMD is significantly wider and I use a pulley stacked on the stock crank pulley to drive the supercharger. The pulleys wouldn't line up if you used a DMD.

There is a decent amount of cutting involved in either the Contour or Cougar. Here are the required modifications:

-I removed the fender and cut a hole near the stock coolant tank location so the piping can get out of the engine bay and down toward the bumper.

-Part of the fender support in that area also needs to be trimmed otherwise the wheel splash guard won't fit back in place without really mashing against the piping. You could keep your windshield washer tank if you cut the filler neck down. The air filter won't fit on the supercharger otherwise.

-The black steel plate that sits on top of the passenger side engine mount needs a rib cut down for the supercharger bracket to bolt up.

-The engine mount on the passenger side has a thin rib that needs to be trimmed down which allows for the head unit adjustment without bottoming out on that rib.

-The oil drain on the bottom of the supercharger doesn't have enough room to run a 90 degree fitting so a hole needs to be cut near the washer tank to run the oil drain line down. That area is boxed in so you also need to cut a small hole further down for the oil line to come out near the oil pan.

-Then finally a hole under the battery distribution box needs to be cut to run the piping up to the MAF and into the intake. You could use the intake from Nautilus fairly easily. I had a GMK intake on the mockup car so I went that route.

I took pictures of everything throughout the install so I can get a very nice install guide put together. I'll post up some pictures when the kit is finished in the next day or two.

Chris

Last edited:
How dare you teases us with no pictures:crazy:. Can't wait to see the finished product. Will there be vids of the Cougar and SVT?

Aaron

Now are you using a 3L UIM or Svt UIM? I went with a full 3L swap with SVT cams. Would this work with that? I like the supercharger > turbo.

Now are you using a 3L UIM or Svt UIM? I went with a full 3L swap with SVT cams. Would this work with that? I like the supercharger > turbo.

I'm using a SVT UIM (ported 3L with SVT cams) on this car but the 3L manifold wouldn't require any modification. The stock accordion tube would bend over to the stock position and hook up normally.

The way I sell the kit you have to run a blow through. If you were absolutely opposed to that you could try to run the intake filter down into the fender and run the MAF over there. I've been happy with my blow through setup though.

if you don't want more than 300 hp...
or if you don't want to spend over $4K...

supercharger > turbocharger

Chris, does your kit require a blow-through MAF?

chris made more than 300 whp.

nautilus turbo kits are less than 4000. actually, the price is about the same for the two. take your pick.

lol.

My car made more than 300whp but it was an upgraded version of the kit (10psi vs 6psi) and it was on a 3L. I can sell you the pulleys to get there but you need an intercooler and BOV above 6psi. The intercooler I used was about $260 and the BOV was in the $150 range. The pulleys will be about $300 unless you decide to go 10psi right away which will only add about $150 to the kit price because you will only get the 10 psi set instead of both.

I did finish up the kit completely last night minus a supercharger belt I need to buy. I pulled the car out of the garage NA because I have a 3L swap I need to burn through real quick on a Cougar. Pics will be up soon.

Last edited:
chris made more than 300 whp.

nautilus turbo kits are less than 4000. actually, the price is about the same for the two. take your pick.

lol.

perhaps i stated my thoughts too simply. i find the supercharger to be the better option *if* your goals and/or budget are mild.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see pics of this set-up, is that all stock internals on the 3L? How did the intercooler fit up front did you have to do alot of cutting or removing anything?

oh? what is your reasoning?

nevermind. i see that you're just post-whoring in order to sell crap. :rolleyes:

Wooo calm down there buddy.
If you see what his intentions are, why are you even arguing with him? Unles you like arguing then take it to pms.

Blackcoog glad your doing this setup on a csvt. I was hoping you would be able to do this kit on a 2.5L and get some dyno numbers.

my reasoning would be that with a SC you would have instant power. A turbo will give you lag whether its a t25 garrett or a gt3017r turbo. If your making alot more power than 250, then it would be worth waiting for it to "kick in" until 4k rpmor so with a big turbo setup. Otherwise, why wouldn't you just want that instant power. I see you can make more power than 250 (obviously) with a SC. I was just stating my .2 cents, whether some vag likes it or not.

Last edited:
my reasoning would be that with a SC you would have instant power. A turbo will give you lag whether its a t25 garrett or a gt3017r turbo. If your making alot more power than 250, then it would be worth waiting for it to "kick in" until 4k rpmor so with a big turbo setup. Otherwise, why wouldn't you just want that instant power. I see you can make more power than 250 (obviously) with a SC. I was just stating my .2 cents, whether some vag likes it or not.

Play nice or you may find yourself with a time-out

Back