• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SLotted rotors? Any good or costhmetic only?

I do have to say that slotted and drilled rotor knowledge is extremely mixed. for example: my auto tech brakes teacher found it interesting when some kid said his drilled rotors cracked. the teacher followed by saying "wow even on high performance rotors you cracked them". well umm in my experience drilled rotors are way more prone to cracking from heat then blank ones. for just the simple reason umm they have holes! creating another stress point. also poor quality drilled rotors to not have a rounded edged hole. and from what i have read just makes it even more prone to cracking because of the sharp edge. in summery theres way to many wrong and mixed knowledge sources. I'm not in any way saying everyone that posted is wrong but i know for a fact that some do not know what they are talking about, I'm not talking about Rara...

Last edited:
I do have to say that slotted and drilled rotor knowledge is extremely mixed. for example: my auto tech brakes teacher found it interesting when some kid said his drilled rotors cracked. the teacher followed by saying "wow even on high performance rotors you cracked them". well umm in my experience drilled rotors are way more prone to cracking from heat then blank ones. for just the simple reason umm they have holes! creating another stress point. also poor quality drilled rotors to not have a rounded edged hole. and from what i have read just makes it even more prone to cracking because of the sharp edge. in summery theres way to many wrong and mixed knowledge sources. I'm not in any way saying everyone that posted is wrong but i know for a fact that some do not know what they are talking about, I'm not talking about Rara...

Good post.

And for the record, there are three brake engineers that have posted in this thread. One is a Former OEM brake engineer, another is still an OEM/Tier 1 brake engineer, having worked on some of the highest performance brake systems in the US, and the last designs and builds his own aftermarket brake kits. And andreslobo is none of these people.

And for the record, there are three brake engineers that have posted in this thread. One is a Former OEM brake engineer, another is still an OEM/Tier 1 brake engineer, having worked on some of the highest performance brake systems in the US, and the last designs and builds his own aftermarket brake kits. And andreslobo is none of these people.

I was just about to say something along these lines LOL.

Maybe he just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night... ;)

27_laughing.gif
sign-funnypost.gif

I have drilled and slotted and my pads done wear out fast... I personally just like the aesthetics point of the rotor... Performance wise I havent seen any improvement since i got them...

- Amyn

Good post.

i felt like being informative last night.:laugh: but yes i have seen the good posts in this tread.

Last edited:
i thought the holes were for safely brushing away tiny brake pad gnomes who feast on our pads while we drive? anyway, i assume theres also extra pad wear with the slotted but is it to the same degree as drilled?

the slots in brake rotors are to clear off the glaze on the brake pad. they will wear out pads faster. the drilling is for a cooling effect. none of these additions to a brake rotor are solely for weight savings. you would only be saving a miniscule amount anyways. if you want to run cool looking rotors without wearing out pads fast, just get some emery cloth and sand down the sharp edges on the slots so they don't actually scrape the brake pads.

I could NEVER justify spending extra money on a rotor that is more prone to failure AND will eat away my pads faster. Not even if it looks cool. Spend the extra money on better pads or SS lines or some upgrade to the braking system.

BTW: it's cosmetic, not costhmetic

if you want to run cool looking rotors without wearing out pads fast, just get some emery cloth and sand down the sharp edges on the slots so they don't actually scrape the brake pads.

It will help, but only a tiny bit. If you're worried about the increased wear, just run plain face rotors. Honestly, there is very little to be gained at all on a street car from slotted rotors.

Except all the sweet looks you get from 16 year old girls.

See, high school chicks in Michigan know slotted rotors when they see them. That comes from being in close proximity to the Big Three. I don't know that the draw would be the same here in Mass. :laugh:

Seriously, run the stockers. Buy quality parts from Ford, or, at the very least, something manufactured in Canada or the US. A lot of the castings and materials coming out of Korea and China are junk.

Drilled and slotted rotors are crap for our cars. The cheapo, "just for looks" drilled rotor specifically.

We put some "near new" drilled front rotors on my bro's E0 svt. In about a years time the rotors are falling apart :eek:!

The 2K svt I just picked up has the drilled front and rear rotors. The car has had a little shimmy in the rear when braking. The pads/rotors were replaced about 1 year ago as well. While putting on the chrome FSVT wheels last night I noticed that both rear rotors are cracked and split apart. Cracked enough actually that if I brake hard enough a pie shape section of rotor will break out of the circle.....

This post is just a FYI about how these cheap drilled rotors respond to our cars.

i have slotted rotors on the fron of my sable. the old ones used to have warping issues (material biuld up...) anyway with the slotted rotors i have not had any problems.
im not saying they are any better or worse than anything else just my experience with them

this is an old topic lol

Back