• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Autocross Results

oberthecat

Veteran CEG'er
I participated in my first Autox in my Mystique today. I placed second in SCCA class DSP by .02 seconds. Sounds really good except there were only two cars in the class. The other guy was using track tire and I was using all season Radials so I don't feel to bad. The car is a lot of fun and I did do a four wheel drift. I am quite pleased with how the Mystique did considering its age. It will be interesting to see how I did overall.

Nice job. I participated in my first SCCA training today. I'll be back for more in May for actual events. I was told for only having known stick for three weeks that I drive exceptionally well, and that I drive tight enough that I wiggle the cones without tipping them over.

I only clobbered three cones the whole day. Never lost control. It was a fun experience and now I'm addicted damnit. :laugh: :help:

It's good to see people are hitting up their local events. I still remember my first event. I have been to a million and one events and have never seen a first timer upset with their choice to finally show up to an autocross. Just read the stickies on this site and/or others to prepare yourself, ask a few questions and go have a great time.

im pretty sure i was at the same sbr event oberthecat. i only had one run for time, and i hit 2 cones, dnf'd the first 3

that would be me. next time out will be much better. i couldnt adjust my D2's. cut away the tops of the rear towers and i can get to them now

svt uim. in the other "lower" classes you cant change anything tb or after. it could probably be argued that it would be legal for a non csvt because it was a different model of the tour. it wasnt an option on the mystique though

svt uim. in the other "lower" classes you cant change anything tb or after. it could probably be argued that it would be legal for a non csvt because it was a different model of the tour. it wasnt an option on the mystique though
This is exactly correct. A Mystique LS 5 Speed and a CSVT would in stock condition both be G Stock. In the eyes of the SCCA there is no difference between what I've done and someone putting an aftermarket manifold ob a small block powered older Corvette. I really don't mind because I can't beat a Mini Cooper in G Stock anyway. I am just doing this for fun and to learn how the car handels.

I'm waiting for them to move the Cooper S to another class before I actually try to compete.

That's not going to happen. There was discoussion on doing just that last year. But with Erik K. being 2nd place after day one at last years nationals in a spec-v, and finishing the weekend up in tenth, the hopes of that deminised. The mini did however finish faster than the d stock cars. This in turn made the gstock pax times more than d stock for the first time ever. So the only thing that makes sense of this whole mess is that none of it makes sense. If the mini was bumped out of g stock, there's only going to be four people that I could see winning it. Erik K., Don B. Jr., Mark Anton, or myself alll in a spec-v which would be the ringer car. I know of a few other people who drive spec-v's really fast, or who could, but it's not a car you'll be able to beat the four of us in your fist year driving it. But one thing that has been being discoussed for longer than the mini is what tires should really be allowed in stock class.

That's not going to happen. There was discoussion on doing just that last year. But with Erik K. being 2nd place after day one at last years nationals in a spec-v, and finishing the weekend up in tenth, the hopes of that diminished.

A lot of people are still saying its gonna happen despite protest from Mini drivers. Some are saying the new turbo Mini will move up and the super Mini will stay and others are saying both will move up together. Locally it was fun when my Mx6, a friends Tiburon and a Spec-V where 1-2-3 every event but soon we couldnt place top 5 and its now like that nationwide.

I have run an SVTFocus in G Stock an an 04 GTO in F Stock and came to the conclusion that there as no way to win in either class especially considering that I am not going to buy a trailer for haul a "Stock" car with R compound tires or a trailer to haul tires and wheels. The SCCA can do without my money. So I just run a few events now and again and have fun. I still get the news letter from the region I run events in and have noticed that there a hardly ever any new members. I think this is because it is extremely discouraging to try to be competative from the get go.

I think you're exactly right. In my turbo 626 (which qualified for HS) I could be competitive at a local level but never at a regional or national level. But I'm doing it for fun and fellowship, not to get sponsored or anything like that.

hell when i ran g stock locally the few runs i had against mini coopers i killed them. im guessing the drivers in KC suck compared with other states. that was on POS tires too. :) i wish they would run events more often around KC they seem to be dying here. Topeka is taking away all the fun.

Yep, they must have been bad drivers. Even a Mini S on all seasons will run circles around almost anything else in GS besides a SpecV on race tires.

Detroit Region SCCA had thier Solo season opener this weekend. I decided to enter my Contour for my very first event. I was down in THS as I kept my Goodyear Allegras on (all I have for tires right now anyway)

I would have to say I was still outclassed by my competition they all had some kind of performance street tire (Falken Azenis, Khumo etc) in all I wound up 10th in class out of 10 entries, not great but I'm just starting out so I got to start some place right?

What I was proud of myself was that I did not knock a single cone over all day (could be that I wasnt close to any to hit) but would up finding over 3 seconds on my last of 4 runs vs. my first pass.

What the heck is THS? Street Tire H Stock?

Correct. Many local events will have its own tire class. The winner of tire class is determined by the cars actual class. The person with the best pax time within tire class wins it. It's a good way to be competitive on a budget. I also recommend anyone starting off to learn on street tires first. This will help with learning the fundamentals of driving.

Correct. Many local events will have its own tire class. The winner of tire class is determined by the cars actual class. The person with the best pax time within tire class wins it. It's a good way to be competitive on a budget. I also recommend anyone starting off to learn on street tires first. This will help with learning the fundamentals of driving.

I've heard of it but never actually seen enough people wanting to run in it for them to do it locally. I guess they just assume that having a "street" tire even if they are max performance tires is still in the budget for stock class.

What were you running is HS though? Both the cars in your sig should be GS cars.

Back