• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pic says it all

well it took from 5 to about 8~8:30 but the wastegate exhaust leak has been corrected. To get the wastegate out I had to dissconnect the exhaust and remove the downpipe with the wastegate attached. Well to my frustration it wouldn't go back together that way. So back out it came and I also had to unbolt the turbo to get everything to line up. Again the allen wrenches with the ball end ftw, I was able to get to all four wastegate bolts with one. Now after hitting boost I can really hear the blow off valve. Down side was I still wasn't able to get the intake and airfilter installed. I did however get a new coupler to replace the one I cut to short. So hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get that installed. I also have to remount the power steering cooler to the bottom of the intercooler. After that I will be able to get the bumper re-installed and road test everything.

same kinda issues i was having , its funny reading the issues your having like the one pipe that goes through the frame rail needing to go on first and having to take it back apart again just to get that in. i did it to :laugh: 3rd time is a charm though brian trust me LOL.
its all worth it in the end though, turbo kicks ass!!!!!
and look at the bright side next time youll be able to install one in like 2 hrs. with all the practice

Last edited:
what lol? :laugh:

3L = engine size (displacement)
build mtx = manual transmission (with aftermarket parts)
turbo = turbo, makes possitive pressure aka boost :drool: (forces air into the enigne)
bov = blow off valve - releases air pressurized by the turbo when the throttle is closed after being openned

add that all up and it = :drool:

same kinda issues i was having :laugh: 3rd time is a charm though brian trust me LOL.
its all worth it in the end though, turbo kicks ass!!!!!
and look at the bright side next time youll be able to install one in like 2 hrs. with all the practice

lmao ... yeah I was hoping to not have to remove and install everything so many times, but yes it is very worth it. it doesn't want to keep traction at the top end :laugh:

another great reason to start at 3 psi and use a mbc to get higher. imagine if I left the 8 psi spring in the waste gate?

oh and someone questioned me before about going with 3 psi and that this intercooler could have a 3psi pressure drop. well the vac/boost reference is after the tb so the wastegate will open when the engine sees 3 psi not the turbo. so the turbo might be making something like 6 psi but the engine only sees 3 psi.

I also got a digital non contact thermometer and we checking things out as it idled last night. the down pipe was running at about 350 degrees but the intake pipes after the intercooler where around 80 degrees. it was most likely still around 70~80 degrees at that time last night.

oh I finally looked at the speedo last night. running the car in 1st I can get to like 35 mph in a few hundred feet now. I'll have to measure it out to really know though.

This?

well the 3 or 8 psi is the rating of the spring that goes in the wastegate. the wastegate bleeds off exhaust gas before it goes into the turbo, therefore the turbo can only make so much boost. right now I am using a 3 psi spring and therefore the turbo will make 3 psi of boost. to much boost and the engine will fail. So the other part is the mbc or manual boost controller. this is a valve that keeps the wastegate closed longer, therfore making more boost. so if it normally makes 3psi and I want it to make 5 psi of boost I would just adjust the mbc so that the turbo would no make 5 psi of boost.

as for the rest i was curious about the temps the different parts reach so I got the thermometer to check it out.

this is all kinda a big experiment/learning experience for me

well the 3 or 8 psi is the rating of the spring that goes in the wastegate. the wastegate bleeds off exhaust gas before it goes into the turbo, therefore the turbo can only make so much boost. right now I am using a 3 psi spring and therefore the turbo will make 3 psi of boost. to much boost and the engine will fail. So the other part is the mbc or manual boost controller. this is a valve that keeps the wastegate closed longer, therfore making more boost. so if it normally makes 3psi and I want it to make 5 psi of boost I would just adjust the mbc so that the turbo would no make 5 psi of boost.

as for the rest i was curious about the temps the different parts reach so I got the thermometer to check it out.

this is all kinda a big experiment/learning experience for me

Don't you guys live together? Can't you just show and explain in person? :laugh:

well last night I was finally able to install the intake tube and air filter. I had to trim alittle bit more from the fender area to fit the tube but all worked out. After that I was going to mount up the power steering cooler but I found that the bolts I bought which I thought where the same where not. So I just left it how I had it. After that I drove around the storage area. There was no irratic idle as I had before. Some of of the drive way area had just been re-tared. I easily left 10 to 15 foot strips in a few places without trying. After that I went for a road test. The car performed really well. I just did the loop around the block a few times. The car pulled nicely and was well manored. I put the bumper on for a test fit and found the filter contacts the fog lamp. So I think i will cut the intake tube about an inch shorter to make it clear. It also looks like it maybe to far out to install the bumper so I might have to modify the fender openning some more to get the filter to tuck in more. Oh well just more to figure out tomorrow. But at least the kit is installed completely and works
biggrin.gif

05-29-08_2111.jpg

Back