• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

TRACK TIMES

68fordman

CEG'er
97 mystique V6 stock mtx pass. seat and back seat are out

this is my first ever time running my car on a track

Run 1
RT - .745
60' - 2.657
330' - 7.02
1/8 - 10.615 @ 68.58
1000' - 13.721
1/4 - 16.375 @ 84.65

Run 2
RT - .721
60' - 2.527
330' - 6.875
1/8 - 10.450 @ 69.02
1000' - 13.52
1/4 - 16.147 @ 85.88

Final Run
RT - .777
60' - 2.411
330' - 6.714
1/8 - 10.296 @ 68.94
1000' - 13.379
1/4 - 16.008 @ 85.62

i think if i had another run i coulda broke into the 15's

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's a V6? Seems about on par. Seat removal probably didn't help at all. I wish mine was a 5spd. :cry:

i just took the seats out because i usually have a bumper or two in my car, im going to school for collision repair, and my relatives suck at driving

Nice; picking up the launch technique as you go, it appears.

The first time I ran my Cougar at a track, I went from 16.7 down to 15.9 in the same day. It just takes a while to really get the hang of the launch.

my first launch was terrible, my grandma coulda launched better, i just kinda idled off the line, the guy i was running was taking forever to line up and then the lights started, i was just caugh off guard

next friday my school is having a showdown at an 1/8 mile track, will hopefully run better there, all concrete brand new surface

if you can get that 60 ft lower that will help for sure

wow... pearls of wisdom here folks!

you may also want to tell him that he'd probably get better times with more traction and more horsepower while you at it. :crazy: :laugh:

the track was gripping really well, i had no wheelhop, but i do need more horsepower.....and a lot less weight....what else can be taken out?

i have the seats, i had my spare and jack in my friends truck.....any other quick weight reduction tips? or any shifting/launching tips? trying to get the best out of this car as possible

wow... pearls of wisdom here folks!

you may also want to tell him that he'd probably get better times with more traction and more horsepower while you at it. :crazy: :laugh:
no need to. you chimmed in w/your infinit wisdom and did it for me:laugh:

I'm not sure if theres any sound panels under the carpet but it wouldn't be a bad idea to check. I know theres sound foam in the doors that could be removed. Strip the trunk down to bare metal, and remove anything you don't need, AC system, Stereo system, rear door panels, its almost endless.

foam in doors is already out......the radio has to stay in......rear door panels, might be coming out along with the rest of the trunk insulation...as long as i get them out by friday night, its all good......

any advice on my launch

As you can see in my sig I don't even have a v6 let alone a stick. I would just try to get out on the strip early and practice launching. Find your rpm sweetspot where you can pop the clutch without wheelhop. For tree timing that is just experience.

The best launches I get are when I rev it to 4k and baby(burn) the clutch so the tires don't spin. If you let off the clutch at two low an rpm your acceleration will suck until you hit the secondaries at 3.5k in the SVT. I would imagine the regular V6s have these secondaries too.

As you can see in my sig I don't even have a v6 let alone a stick. I would just try to get out on the strip early and practice launching. Find your rpm sweetspot where you can pop the clutch without wheelhop. For tree timing that is just experience.
After the 2nd stage light is lit, I let out the clutch just barely so it just begins to engage. Then give it gas and let out the clutch. If I have the rpm's high when I launch, I just spin... and if I slip the clutch, it won't hold well the rest of the night.

Back