• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock SVT clutch or spec 3+.. need opinions asap

I have a 1998.5 CSVT

MY clutch is gone. I still have a problem deciding what should i get for my SVT. I am thinking of changing my tranny soon. but i dont know what to do. should i just get stock clutch and flywheel, or just a clutch for now. or go spec for both flywheel and Stage 3+. The thing is spec to me right now is very expensive even with CEG prices. :cry:

I am thinking of 2 things

1. Wait on the spec parts until i get a new tranny.
( so i can just go all out later on):laugh:
2. Go stock for now. (because its cheaper, and avoid more problems with a different clutch)

It will cost me with spec

Stage 3+ = $476
Flywheel = $375
labor = $400
I say around $1350 with shipping and gas to get it done.:mad:
I cant compare it with stock SVT clutch because i don't know any prices yet. Does anyone know how much will it be exactly if i go stock and where to get it from. And what should i do........:shrug: i need help the car has been sitting for more than a month now.

I appreciate the help already

Last edited:
What clutch you end up getting all depends on how far you end up going with mods do you plan on a turbo or nitrous along with a lsd? Are you having the third gear grind that these cars are famous for, will you be changing syncro's too? All those things you should do when you have the tranny out the first time cause it's kind of a chore getting it in and out. If you are going to stay n/a I would say get a spec stage 1 and a fidanza flywheel that combo should be enough to handle everything but turbo. Also was that a quote for $400 to change the clutch or your estimate?

Basically if you plan to upgrade I say wait till you have all the tranny parts till you have it done.

If you need the car now, and can't get the tranny for a few months, then just get a SVT clutch kit from Bill Jenkins for $300 plus shipping ( I think its still that price)...

Get it installed, and drive it until you are ready to have a built up tranny and a new SPEC stage3+ with a 3L or whatever later on...

:)

i know i would wait but i need the car for school and work, the quote on the labor is fixed. but i do plan on going 3L turbo with new tranny. Thank god i dont have the 3rd gear third gear grind. the car is in perfect shape the thing is i dont feel like spending as much now till i have the money to go all out. do you know what is the prices for the stock clutch and flywheel. its just a died clutch that needs to be changed thats all. just don't know what to do.

If you need the car now, and can't get the tranny for a few months, then just get a SVT clutch kit from Bill Jenkins for $300 plus shipping ( I think its still that price)...

Get it installed, and drive it until you are ready to have a built up tranny and a new SPEC stage3+ with a 3L or whatever later on...

:)

hey man... that is exactly what i was thinking. 300 sounds good right about now. I might just do that with you, like i said. later on i will just go all out with tranny then 3L and bother you with that :laugh:. Amyns car is running great by the way thanks for everything that thing sounds crazy.. in a good way.

hey man... that is exactly what i was thinking. 300 sounds good right about now. I might just do that with you, like i said. later on i will just go all out with tranny then 3L and bother you with that :laugh:. Amyns car is running great by the way thanks for everything that thing sounds crazy.. in a good way.

Or you can look all over the internet , like I did(don't rememb. the site) and get a Stage 1 Spec clutch for under $300.. I'll check the receipt , but if i'm not wrong i paid about $200..

(Don't know If you had the same issues as most of us , but I had grinding in 3rd gear. If that's the case for you , you should get a really good synthetic tranny oil , 3rd gear revised fork , synchro,and the input "shaft".. I changed everything and it runs amazing.)
I guess I got ahead of myself .. Good thing you don't have this issue..

Good luck

Last edited:
Or you can look all over the internet , like I did(don't rememb. the site) and get a Stage 1 Spec clutch for under $300.. I'll check the receipt , but if i'm not wrong i paid about $200..

(Don't know If you had the same issues as most of us , but I had grinding in 3rd gear. If that's the case for you , you should get a really good synthetic tranny oil , 3rd gear revised fork , synchro,and the input "shaft".. I changed everything and it runs amazing.)
I guess I got ahead of myself .. Good thing you don't have this issue..

Good luck

Thanks man, i dont have the 3rd gear problem. i believe there isnt anything wrong with my tranny at all. the car runs perfect. i just know that i need a clutch and the is because it was my first manual car.and i owned it with 123,456k miles on it. and it slips so i am pretty sure i just need a clutch kit. i will change the whole thing and go crazy when i get a new tranny. just need something cheap for now, just to get me moving and to save more for what is coming next.

I am glad everything worked out for you. its always good to hear about anyone fixing that 3rd gear pro.

clutch prices from teamfordparts.com where just lowered

New pricing on clutch kits as of 01/01/2008

SVT 2.5L 98-2000
F7RZ-7L596-EA List $266.65 CEG $248.19

Non-SVT 2.5L 98-2000
F7RZ-7L596-BA List $266.67 CEG $248.20

Kits come with clutch, pressure plate, align tool, and slave cyl. with TO bearing.

No core charge.

Last edited:

That's about what I paid from Steve at Tousley.

To the OP, I would suggest another stock replacement clutch. If you don't need the torque capacity aftermarket clutches are more annoying than anything in my opinion. :cool:

Thanks man .. just what i wanted. :crazy:

The prices are great.. the stock kit will keep me running and saving for the good stuff later on.

Thank you everyone, you guys are always a great help.

I love CEG :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

At 125K miles should the flywheel be changed as well???? This is a question that arose during discussion with a couple ppl!

- amyn

you don't need to replace it as it can be resurfaced. but then again SVT flywheels are only a $125 new from temfordparts.com so its up to you.

Sounds good it is up to the Mo as he is planning on going stock for now till he starts upgrading everything! The real mod bug hasnt hit him yet:rolleyes: ......

- amyn

Depends on the condition of the flywheel and you can't tell until you have the clutch out.

Just make sure that BOTH surfaces are resurfaced to maintain the proper ledge from where the clutch disc touches the flywheel to where the pressure plate touches the flywheel. Both surfaces must be taken down the same amount to maintain that proper ledge.

Or just buy a new one. :) A good resurface will run $30 to $45 FYI.

Yeh i think i might just go with a new flywheel in case anything goes wrong. if the old one is in good condition i will just sell it.

Thanks everyone for your help....

- MO

Yeh i think i might just go with a new flywheel in case anything goes wrong. if the old one is in good condition i will just sell it.

Thanks everyone for your help....

- MO

that is why I picked up a new one, don't have to worry that it was machined correctly, not that a good machine shop would do it wrong ...

Back