• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What are better cams?

I feel that I do too some times in my Stock SVT Enging but I think that Aaron is mostly just comparing the 3L with 3L cams, to his 3L with SVT Cams and saying that he gets more torque steer in his 3L with 3L cams.

Thank you!!!!!!!1

Aaron

If you use the SVT intake system then the SVT cams are the best. If you use the taurus intake then the taurus cams.

ugh, i didnt know this when building my 3 liter. i have the svt cams with the 3 liter uim. of course, you guys didnt have that cool product back then either. if using that "adapter" you guys make, i change to the SVT uim, will i have to have it re-tuned? can you guys do a mail order tune for a car that has all kinds of different mods to it? (sorry to start heading off track)

When Grenade gets his car dynoed we should be able to draw a few more conclusions. He currently has a ported 3L, 3L cams, SVT intakes, and headers.

As far as I know, the duratec cams all have the same lift and duration, the SVT cams just have more overlap to improve high rpm scavenging. This is the only modification that Roush advised when Ford consulted them. At least for the 2.5 duratecs. With the 3.0 cams I doubt if they area any hotter, in fact the SVT cams are the hottest out there regardless what car the engine is in. This includes the Jag X type. As for torque steer, no matter how hard I drive my 99 SVT, I never experience this. I did test drive another 99 before I bought mine and I couldn't believe how much torque steer there was, almost changed my mind about buying one. After talking to some SVT owners that know something, they reassured me that this was abnormal. The owner probably abused the car by not shifting it properly in addition to a too aggressive driving in general. Now with these turbo charged nitrous burning 300whp+ monsters that seem to be out there, this could be another situation....

I'm very pleased with how my car pulls with the 2004 3L. And torque steer is not bad if the wheel is straight. But if the wheels are slightly turned, it will pull all over the place.

Grenade, get the damn thing Dyno'd already!

I need to know if i am going to need headers/Ypipe and test pipe... :laugh:

Of course you need all that stuff why would you not want more power
:laugh: . If you go with a 2bolt non-catted test pipe I know where this is one :eek: .

Aaron

Seafire is right. The Ford service manuals list the same lift specs for all the cams in question. The higher lift in later 03+ was achieved by a higher rocker arm ratio... 2:0 as opposed to the previous 1:8. The only difference in the cams is in duration which unfortunately, is the spec that Ford does not list.

Seafire is right. The Ford service manuals list the same lift specs for all the cams in question. The higher lift in later 03+ was achieved by a higher rocker arm ratio... 2:0 as opposed to the previous 1:8. The only difference in the cams is in duration which unfortunately, is the spec that Ford does not list.
Interesting on the rocker ratio.
So, if you use SVT cams in an '03+ 3L can you use the higher lift rockers?
Seems like the way to get the highest duration/ additional lift.
I've been following the thread, but if I build a 3L it will have the SVT cams. From what I've read, the SVTs have the same lift as later 3L cams but have more duration/overlap. This will give more top end and can soften the low/mid-range slightly, which is probably what people are describing here. If the car is tuned properly, the SVT cams will make more power from say 5000-7000 (arbitrary range I made up that would need to be dyno verified, but they will show gains from a certain rpm to redline).
SVT chose the cams for these cars and I would stick with them if possible.
-J

THE SERVICE MANUAL IS WRONG, how many times does this need to be repeated?There was NO change in the rocker ratio, the change was in the cams themselves. I have measured a set of 01' cams back to back with a set of 04' myself, and the lift change IS ALL IN THE CAM.

THE SERVICE MANUAL IS WRONG, how many times does this need to be repeated?There was NO change in the rocker ratio, the change was in the cams themselves. I have measured a set of 01' cams back to back with a set of 04' myself, and the lift change IS ALL IN THE CAM.
Apparently it needs to be repeated a bunch. Though I HAVE read other people say that. I guess maybe it's just a conspiracy by Ford to throw people off by listing incorrect specs. Or perhaps they are trying to confuse people like myself, whom they PAY to FIX their cars/trucks. I guess maybe the engineers got together & wanted to play a little game of "see if anyone catches this". LOL... all kidding aside, Ford has a system where techs can submit problems they've found with listed specs and procedures so I think I'll try to put this out there & see Ford's stance on it. There has to be a more intelligent explanation than "the manual is way off".

Happens ALL the time. There is a TON of stuff in the service manual specs that is wrong, because its not the same people releasing the manuals that design the parts. When I was a Ford engineer, I caught mistakes in the manuals all the time on my parts. As a part of a race team that builds Mustang race cars, we catch mistakes in the manuals on all sorts of parts as well, and now as a supplier to Ford for engine components, I still see issues in service manuals, and even with which parts are listed for which applications . . .

Interesting on the rocker ratio.
So, if you use SVT cams in an '03+ 3L can you use the higher lift rockers?
Seems like the way to get the highest duration/ additional lift.
I've been following the thread, but if I build a 3L it will have the SVT cams. From what I've read, the SVTs have the same lift as later 3L cams but have more duration/overlap. This will give more top end and can soften the low/mid-range slightly, which is probably what people are describing here. If the car is tuned properly, the SVT cams will make more power from say 5000-7000 (arbitrary range I made up that would need to be dyno verified, but they will show gains from a certain rpm to redline).
SVT chose the cams for these cars and I would stick with them if possible.
-J

I think its been said many times..3L cams belong w/3L uim..same for the svt cam's.

Back