• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.5 Crunchiness

so, uh what was the history of this car? boosted? nitrous?? seems like some pretty extreme damage for a stock 2.5

Nothing that I know of other than high mileage. My guess is that it was driven for quite some time with no oil in it. Judging by the amount of oil and dirt on the block and what was in the engine bay, it leaked for quite some time. It took a little more than a gallon of simple green to clean the engine bay when I took the motor out. And the day I brought it home I spent some time at the car wash with the thing on the trailer so I could get at it good. Not good enough though. The remaining bit of oil that is dripping from the block is darker than sin and thick as cold moles asses. ok, not quite that thick but thick enough to be bad. I only got 1 1/2qts when I drained it back in the spring. And about as much coolant as well.

i'd like to know that too. seems like someone forgot a hammer inside the motor and closed it up. how was it still running?

It wasn't running when I got it. And had actually sat for close to six months by the time I decided to buy it and another five before I actually got around to getting it.

EDIT: I'm wondering what I should do with the bottom half of the connecting rod. It's in the dishwasher right now getting more cleanerer than I could get with the simple green.

And it's out of the dish err partswasher now.

P1020661.jpg

Last edited:
holy hell batman!

so there is no idea for what cause this?

loooks like detonation for sure by the looks of it....or maybe the engine was hydro-locked and tried to start it?

Thats what my engine looks like after a "little knock".............Well maybe not THAT bad. Wish i would have known about the 3L back then

Is that engine even salvageable with that much damage without having to buy lots of replacement parts?

Is that engine even salvageable with that much damage without having to buy lots of replacement parts?

Even though the block took a fairly good Ike Turner-ish beating, I don't see any crucial area that are in bad shape at first glance. However, there is so much trash throughout the entore thing that I'm sure the cylinder walls are really chewed up enough that the boring process wouldn't help. IIRC, there isn't actually that much the 2.5's can bored over before the walls become to thin. Unless you get them sleeved.

Even though the block took a fairly good Ike Turner-ish beating, I don't see any crucial area that are in bad shape at first glance. However, there is so much trash throughout the entore thing that I'm sure the cylinder walls are really chewed up enough that the boring process wouldn't help. IIRC, there isn't actually that much the 2.5's can bored over before the walls become to thin. Unless you get them sleeved.

Was it pretty angering when you popped her open to find that out after waiting that long to work on it? Or where you pretty much expecting it?

not angering at all. I had that feeling when I bought the car that it was worse than what I was hearing. Actually, I like destruction and how things come apart. So to me, it's really cool. In fact, I made a pound cake last night, decorated it this morning just to tear it apart to see what it would look like and how it would crumble and stuff. I couldn't care to eat it really.

I've had a replacement motor since March too. http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=8920

I've been doing culinary stuff my whole life and it wasn't until I took a baking and pastry class this semester that I found baking any fun at all. But only baking cakes though. I've been getting some interest in making cakes but no one has offered to pay yet. So in the meantime, I'm playing with them to get a better understanding of them and find what is good and what isn't.

It's the nerdy science part in me coming out to play.

Wow.

That is knocked the f* out...

cooking is cools!

I am learning myself, as ex and I split. It is fun!:laugh:

Back