• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I'm confused on SVT's

sdad

New CEG'er
Does the 3.0l have an SVT variant? Some things I've read make think so, but other listings make me think not. Are you guys moving 2.5L SVT parts to the 3.0L? Is that what I'm reading? Or when you talk about your SVT is it the 2.5L that you are referring to?

Does the 3.0l have an SVT variant? Some things I've read make think so, but other listings make me think not. Are you guys moving 2.5L SVT parts to the 3.0L? Is that what I'm reading? Or when you talk about your SVT is it the 2.5L that you are referring to?

People swap the 3L cams with the SVT cams

The 3.0l SVT motors are 3.0l's built with SVT specific 2.5l parts like cams, intake manifolds, throttlebody, and in some cases the heads as well. the SVT contours did not come with 3.0l's.

SVT's come stock with a 2.5 motor, the SVT 2.5 engine is different then a 'regular' contour.

The 3.0 is a after market option, people take a engine form a tarsus,escape and Sable .You can mix and match parts between the 2.5 and 3.0 Intake manifolds heads ect.

OK, then. This is beginning to sink in. The SVT uses a "standard" 2.5L head, though? To create an SVT 3.0L then I would snag the cams, intake manifolds, throttle body, computer from a 2.5 SVT and swap them in. Any other parts like timing gears, chains?. Someone mentioned moving the entire head assembly from the 2.5L SVT. Same head on 2.5 and 3.0L? I can reasonably expect to go from about 200hp to what if I SVTize my 3.0L?

:laugh: Jumping in there pretty quick for 2 posts...

There is a whole forum for Duratec Performance, and a whole forum for 3L dicussion.

Sdad, Do you have a Contour? Does it already have a 3.0L in it? or do you have a 3.0L Taurus?

The 3.0L Duratec in the Taurus is rated ~210hp from factory, so I'm confused how you're going from 200hp to something more if you "SVTize" your 3.0L...

You should probably start from scratch with a new post in the 3L forum, and supply the DETAILS...without them you might as well be driving a cardboard box :laugh:

And Hylix, double posting to up a post count is against forum rules...So I know why you answered your own post 1 minute after posting the first message, but that is why you have an edit button.

Sorry to post in a dead thread, but c'mon, seriously????

Rules are rules but was all the finger pointing necessary?
And Hylix, double posting to up a post count is against forum rules...So I know why you answered your own post 1 minute after posting the first message, but that is why you have an edit button.

I've been around for years, Why would i bother upping my post count? I do more reading than posting. I was just being social, next time i'll use the edit button. you should really base your opinion of who a noob is by something other than post count I apologize for breaking the rules and setting a bad example.

some people can't wait to bust balls around here :nonono: tiz the only downside of CEG... sorry for gaining an extra post for this.. i couldn't keep my mouth shut on that one.

SVT motor is a 2.5L Duratec, It had higher compression pistons, High reving cams, extrude honed intake manifolds and higher flow fuel injectors to squeeze out the extra 30ish horses.

What people do is take the 210 hp rated 3L, swap in the high revving cams from the SVT motor, along with the intake manifolds, and are able to get more wheel horsepower.

When people talk about swapping the 3.0L block and putting the 2.5L heads on, we call this a "Hybrid" setup, no its not electic, its half SVT motor, half Taurus motor. I have seen Hybrid motors putting down as high as 230 whp. (which is like 260ish crank horses)

Only issue with a hybrid is you still have the oil drainback issues that you get with the 2.5L motor, but its not really a problem unless you dont overfill your oil by about half a quart.

Back