• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Waterpump question

My radiator fans are running alot more than usual today.

This morning I got a low coolant level light and checked the overflow tank.

It was quite low. I filled it to near the max line and when I was almost to work (approx 17 miles) I noticed the fans running almost continuous.

I went out at lunch and started the car with the overflow cap off. I expected to see a stream of coolant like my Merkur.

Should I see a coolant stream (recirculating) with tha cap off?

I checked to see if water pump belt was missing but its all good. Can the pump be bad and not make any strange noises?

I just had mine replaced. The coolant levels were fine etc. The pump's empeller was cracked and was not pushing the coolant through the system. There was no sound from the pump, just very loud cooling fans running full blast. My car sounding like a plane engine. I let the car cool down and in the morning it drove fine with no unusual sounds. The empeller can be cracked and everything will seem fine except my heat gauge went to the red.

Yes pump is gone.

Yes pump is gone.

Took a bit of time to get home without any coolant circulating...drive, stop, cool, drive, stop, cool...etc...

removed the waterpump, and found the impeller was cracked. would spin fine in air but put some friction to it and the shaft would spin freely without the impeller rotating at all.

Got one on order...very nice to have a secondary vehicle while this one is down!

FYI...aside from the original hose clamps, this R&R is pretty easy.

Assuming you have a 2.5 duratec motor this is a common repair for these cars. I've been told that you can get a replacement water pump with a metal impeller and that's the way to go.

Assuming you have a 2.5 duratec motor this is a common repair for these cars. I've been told that you can get a replacement water pump with a metal impeller and that's the way to go.

a metal impeller pump is one way to go but al long as the replacement is white plastic and not black (the black ones fail) you will be fine also

Got the new pump yesterday

Got the new pump yesterday

Hi all,

Just wanted to add some infor for anyone else in the same boat.

I got my pump from www.allwaterpumps.com.
GMB for the 2.5L

All metal, heavy impeller.

If you have a resellers license, you can go direct to imcparts.com and set up an account and have it for $28 out the door based on the invoice on the box!
I paid $48 to the middleman.

Good deal. I put in a metal Delco, it was 90$, coolant about $15. Still was a lot less than the dealer's estimate of 1800 for engine teardown/gaskets (which is why I got the car cheaply from its previous owner..)

Back