• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

optimized throttle body...kind of awesome

Wow, 8-9 at high revs...I knew I could feel it, but I never imagined it was that much! Thanks for chiming in.

*EDIT* So with a K&N air filter, opt. TB, clean intakes, and when I get my headers on probably in December, It'll probably be putting out 220-225 peak hp at the crank?

Last edited:
Still got the pick-me-up truck Brad?

Yup, still got the '03 Silverado SS. Been modding it as time allows. I've got headers (1.75" stainless long tubes), a custom built CAI, electric fans, HP Tuners software (which will be supporting Fords in coming versions, already supports 05-07 stangs), SLP 1.85 rockers, no cats, 2600 stall, ported TB... I think that's about it right now.

I've got a set of L92 heads, 580/601 232/236 cam, a carb style intake drilled for fuel injectors, and a 90mm throttle body. With that new Mustang lower intake made for the Eaton SC from a Cobra though, I've been thinking of selling off all of the truck parts and truck to get the wife a new ride and me take over her '00 GT 'vert.

Since I'm home for a few days on fall break, I took the opportunity to do some stuff I haven't had time for before, like check ALL of my plugs and wires and PCV valve and hoses, wetsand my headlights, paint and install my fiberglass eyelids, and what the hell, optimize my throttle body. To anyone who says the improvement isn't that noticeable, you must be doing something wrong! It may only be a 2-3 hp gain (I beveled the leading edge of the plate as well) but the difference in part throttle response is otherworldly. I actually lurched the first couple times I took off from a start because I had to relearn how much to toe into the throttle when engaging the clutch. The slightest brush of my foot on the gas is now enough to blip the engine immediately. I highly recommend this mod...not hard if you're careful and take your time and costs literally $0.50 for two screws.

BTW to make this post not completely worthless, I'd like to point out the glaring omission in the How-to on the main page, namely that you need to completely cut out the front of the bar...seems like kind of an important step. Did I miss something?
What front of the bar are you talking about? If you cut out the bar what would you screw the plate to?

^ what he said

It's not really two shafts, it's one with a slot in it and you cut out the front half of that shaft so the plate still screws into the back half. If you look at it you'll immediately see what we mean.

Also it's really not hard to do with even basic tools and a belt sander. Unless you're extremely uncomfortable messing with the plate (i.e. countersinking screws...I was nervous and could have sunk them a bit further but had the sense to stop while I was ahead) it's very doable yourself. Physically, the hardest part is removing the TPS and throttle plate screws (they're lock-tited like crazy, carefully use a power drill w/ philips bit). The most tedious part is countersinking, which isn't even totally necessary. Just GO SLOWLY, take your time with every step. SVT TBs have gone for over $300 on ebay! :blackeye:

i've optimized a se tb before....didnt take all that long,but i didnt cut the front shaft or countersink the screws...so for this i'm going to have pole do it. than i'll sand and mirror polish the exterior while its out:laugh:

i didnt cut the front shaft or countersink the screws...
So what exactly did you optimize? Pretty much the only other thing is the opening angle, and that takes 2 seconds shaving the stop on a belt sander...and good luck "mirror polishing" the housing, as there are a lot of ridges and protrusions.

So what exactly did you optimize? Pretty much the only other thing is the opening angle, and that takes 2 seconds shaving the stop on a belt sander...and good luck "mirror polishing" the housing, as there are a lot of ridges and protrusions.
its not that hard to polish the outside..just takes time...i get laid off for the winter..so i've got four more months to get to all the little ridges and protursions:laugh:

ive got a polished one. it wasnt that bad compared to other parts i did:cool:

I optimized a tb for the Mystique... Cut the half shaft, smoothed out the bore a little bit, countersunk the screws and cut the stop so it opened fully. You just have to take your time to do it right. I think for the SVT I may pick up a 3L tb next time i'm at the junkyard so if I screw up the countersinking of the screw holes I have a backup.

Or i'll just pick up an SVT TB, optimize that and put it in the SVT...

723264_25_full.jpg

considering this was like six years ago and all i had was a dremel...i thought i did alright,but looking now i could've polished the inside a bit better:eek:

Back