• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

strange starter/trans lock issue

sprindl

CEG'er
Recently I have had some issues when starting my 99 2.5l SE. I get what sounds like a starter grind. I put the thing in N and most times all is good. Today I left home and made a turn and the starter engaged and stayed that way, running with the engine. When I turned the key off the starter kept on going. I turned the key back on and the engined fired and ran with the starter engine still engaged. I got the starter to disengage and all seems to be ok for now. Any Ideas? I would bet I have more than one issue here.

You either have a wiring (to starter), starter or ignition cylinder issue. I suggest you check in that order.

I'll have a look at the starter. Seems there have been others like this where the starter was the bad guy.

Thanks,

-sp

An update on this issue. The starter engagement issue occured again today. I'm sitting at a traffic light and the darn thing engages. I pull to the side and repeat turning the key off/on. Takes a few times and the starter disengages. I'm thinking I have some sort of electrical issue since with the key in the off position the starter continued to crank.
Thoughts on what I should replace and how do I test for the problem?

Thanks

-sp

Back