• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SE 2.5L cams for 3L

kscontourkid

Veteran CEG'er
has anyone used the stock 2.5 SE cams in a 3L swap? if so does anyone know what the power diferences would be vs the svt cams? im in a time crunch with my engine and cant seem to find a set of svt cams to put in. id like to end up with around 200whp when im done. that is my goal anyway. i have a 98 3L hybrid im building with the 3L valves in the 2.5 heads. can 200whp be done with the stock 2.5 cams as apposed to the svt?

ctmystique is running stock cams in his 3L hybrid. The difference in the power from cams is going to be the same as between the stock SE and SVT motors ... I have driven a 3L hybrid SVT and this 3L hybrid Mystique, both make good power but the SVT definately had the advantage.

I would highly recomend the SVT cams if you want plenty of top end power, the stock cams are good for low end torque

low end torque huh? i may stick with the stockers then for money and it being a pain i the arse to find some svt's. i autocross so that low end torque is appealing. have you done your 3L swap yet? i know you wanted to....

How hard is it to change the cams with the engine in the car? or should i just pull the engine if i get svt cams later?

Last edited:
low end torque huh? i may stick with the stockers then for money and it being a pain i the arse to find some svt's. i autocross so that low end torque is appealing. have you done your 3L swap yet? i know you wanted to....

How hard is it to change the cams with the engine in the car? or should i just pull the engine if i get svt cams later?

the cams are easy to get to with the engine in the car IIRC...

I put down 201 WHP with stock 2.5L cams in a 3L. Lots of low end too.

Video of the dyno pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtyG6YO7aPI

I would get a set of SVT cams if you can afford too, I was happy with the power I put down. But if you're looking for peak HP go SVT. I propbably would have put down another 15 WHP or so with SVT cams with a little less torque down low.

Last edited:
sweet! that may save me some money! :D my goal is to get 200whp... if i can do that and get better torque i may go with the SE cams anyway. kudos to Avey!

Avey what intake setup did you use? #19 injectors svt uim lim...?

Yeah, SVT upper, the lower is off a 99 3L but it's basically a SVT lower I just converted the linkage to work and SVT 19lb injectors.

The funny thing is the original upper intake manifold felt stronger down low, but the SVT upper helped up top.

Do some homework regarding Ford p/n's. I know that in the pre 2000 3.0's Ford was using the 2.5 cams in 3 of 4 positions. Obviously, the LH intake cam was different. That would save you the trouble of swapping cams/valvetrain and the timing chain cover IF you have an Escape motor.

Also, SVTsnob (Aaron) ran his first 3.0 conversion with a stock 3.0 valvetrain including the cams and timing chain cover. Pulled pretty hard when I drove it. He seemed to like it...

i unfortunately dont have a newer block. i have a '98. but from what ive read it is more or less the same as the newer ones minus the drilling to match the tranny

but from what ive read it is more or less the same as the newer ones minus the drilling to match the tranny

You'll have to work out something different for the H2O pump. That yr. of 3.0 has the H2O pump driven off the front of the motor, not the RH intake cam like the 2.5's or 01+ 3.0's. You could get a later cylinder head or go electric. Lot's of extra work though.

Back