• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So time may be running out.

How are you going to avoid downtime? What, are you gonna chuck the quaife?? flywheels gotta come out too...if you're gonna change the clutch that is

You don't know what fluid was put in the trans? Did you change it yourself or take it somewhere? Is valvoline even on the "recommended" list?

the newest ford honey fluid is the best...plain old ATF isn't gonna have the right friction modifiers in it, unless you added it after the fact.

I still highly recommend trying the correct fluid before you go crazy. especially if this happened after you changed the fluid out.

EDIT: the shop was downs ford in toms river nj...recommended to me by someone here..

Last edited:
How are you going to avoid downtime? What, are you gonna chuck the quaife?? flywheels gotta come out too...if you're gonna change the clutch that is

Well, if I pick up a spare trans I'll go as far as i can with it being off the car. Then on my days off I'll tear into the project and swap everything over that needs to be swapped.

You don't know what fluid was put in the trans? Did you change it yourself or take it somewhere? Is valvoline even on the "recommended" list?

I don't remember off hand because it's been a few months.

the newest ford honey fluid is the best...plain old ATF isn't gonna have the right friction modifiers in it, unless you added it after the fact.

It was my intent to switch to the Ford Honey, but ironically the noise I had asked about previously (the chatter) got insanely louder after the fluid change. So I still think something isn't kosher with it to begin with and a thicker fluid is just going to put a band aid on it.

I still highly recommend trying the correct fluid before you go crazy. especially if this happened after you changed the fluid out.

This problem came about recently, the fluid change was way back when. Maybe a month or two after I picked it up.

The chatter is due to the aftermarket clutch and magnified even more by the lighter flywheel...if you had a similar car to compare it to they'd both sound the same. It's even worse with the specs though...they use their own pressure plate...

And as i'm sure you know, it goes away when you put the clutch in (atleast the chatter i talked to you about)...it has nothing to do with the gear oil since the components that are chattering are not even "wet" (pressure plate/clutch/flywheel).

Since you're looking at a complete trans rebuild, i dont' think spending a few bucks just to troubleshoot is unreasonable. Especially since the fluid you used isn't what's recommended and could actually be causing the problem (although it did not manifest itself immediately)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I came off as pissy with replying to your post in individual phases, but if I did...I wasn't trying to.

I did compare it to another CSVT with a Spec clutch, mine was substantially louder.

I will take your advice though and try the Honey, and for the sake of argument I'll throw the modifier in it.

I'm just trying to make a point lol! It seems you've convinced yourself that there is something catastrophically wrong when the "chattering" is normal and completely unrelated to the syncro. The noise i spoke with you about is the same noise there always was.

Read through the transmission forum and look at all the problems that are caused by using a fluid without the correct friction modifiers. Plain ol' ATF can cause grinding of gears since it does not have the proper friction modifiers in it already. In the past you could add in the ford friction mod, but their newest ford honey fluid is ready to go right out of the bottle.

If you can spend ~$50 and solve the problem then why not? i'm just trying to help you here....

Even if the other car did have a spec (what stage btw?), did it have a lightened flywheel. Not too many people have lightened svt units, but the fidanza produces the same results.

also, you're not going to get very far with a rebuilt trans interms of downtime...they can't put the thing together and make it ready to bolt it onto the car without the quaife installed. You're also gonna need to go to a machine shop to have them press on new syncro's (i dunno if you're gonna do it yourself) unless you purchase a whole gearset.

Last edited:
LOL!, at you two.

I can't remember what the trans fluid was either. I had the same stuff in my car when we first changed our trans fluid and then did another drain/fill with the Ford stuff.

Can't hurt to try the Ford stuff before moving on and ripping into stuff. You really don't need to add the friction modifier into the Ford honey. I know other members have added the friction modifier, but you really don't have to, up to you.

Last edited:
That's all i'm trying to say! I'd hate to see glen rip apart the car and spend lots of money over the wrong fluid.

The chatter is always gonna be there unless you get rid of the flywheel and go back to a stock clutch...

Worth a shot, for sure.
Actually, the fluid that is in there should be ready for a change about now.

Yippee! j/k Hit up AutoZone and get the code.

If anyone was curious...I would have replaced the SVT with something more equipped for snow and much less practical.
snidegrin.gif

http://www.targanewfoundland.com/images/2004/1017_L.jpg

You aren't getting rid of the SVT that easily. :)

Although it is a nice Audi....

I'll throw my two cents in...I have a Spec II clutch with the Fidanza flywheel, and yes, it chatters as well. I've run the rec. Ford trans. fluid with the friction modifier ever since I sheared a bolt in the transmission backing out of my driveway at about 50,000 miles...substantially improved the shifting and I'm sporting 103,000 plus miles, now...:)

I don't think the problem is with the car, but your ability to stay in a committed relationship...;) :laugh:

I don't think the problem is with the car, but your ability to stay in a committed relationship...;) :laugh:

I'm too young for commitment! After all the issues with the car I had before the E0, I'm very skittish with my cars. I get VERY nervous when I hear a noise.

lol it's not motor oil!!!

seriously though, try the proper fluid first before you do anything rash....

I know. ;) We didn't get to do a drain/re-fill a second time, that's why I said it's time for it to be changed. The car has a bunch more miles on it since it was changed, really should have been done sooner but we didn't get to it.

I'm too young for commitment! After all the issues with the car I had before the E0, I'm very skittish with my cars. I get VERY nervous when I hear a noise.

Then consider riding something cheap and foreign...might be more relaxing :laugh:

Back