• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power Window Trouble

mcgarvey

Veteran CEG'er
Well, I knew my right hand side power window was on its way out for a while, and today it finally went. Checked for voltage at the motor connector, all was well. The motor, however, does nothing. My Haynes manual says that to replace the motor, you have to remove the glass and then take out the regulator and motor as a unit. If I buy just a new motor (I'm assuming that the regulator is fine, it's not like I hear the motor trying to move but being unable to), is it possible to replace it without completely removing the regulator and glass? The thought of removing the glass scares me, because I don't have a garage to park the car in, and as we all know, plans to complete a project the same day you start often don't last very long.

Anyone tried this before?

Already saw that thread and countless others on the topic. I just ordered a replacement motor but I'm trying to confirm whether you can replace the motor itself without removing the glass or the regulator. If so, how does the motor connect to the regulator assembly?

What year is your Contour? Apparently, the older models do not need the glass to be removed.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/dc/21/0900823d801bdc21/repairInfoPages.htm

and from the 1996 Ford CD,

Window Regulator, Power
Front Door

Removal and Installation
1. Note: Procedure also applies to manual window regulator.

Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Remove front door window glass as outlined.

3. Loosen, but do not remove front door window regulator-to-front door retaining bolts. (Power windows three bolts, manual windows two bolts.)

4. Remove three window regulator electric drive retaining bolts, if equipped.

5. Slide front door window regulator retaining bolts from slots in front door.

6. Disconnect wiring harness from window regulator electric drive, if equipped.

7. Remove front door window regulator.

8. To install, reverse Removal procedure. Tighten front door window regulator-to-front door window glass retaining bolts to 8 N-m (71 lb-in). Tighten front door window regulator-to-front door retaining bolts to 5 N-m (44 lb-in).

Last edited:
It's a 2000. I did see the autozone and Ford manual, and it seemed to suggest this, but other posts I came across in my search said that it was possible to replace the motor only. Has anyone actually done it?

just a heads up, i thought the common prolem was the regulators. they are run by a cable, which frays and gets caught up in the motor. i have replaced several of my own and working at a stealership we have seem many of them. it's hard to see the frayed cable usually because it is inside a plastic tube/tunnel from the motor on either side to the ridgid bar portion of the regulator. the cable only gets exposed on the backside of that ridgid part. and you shouldnt have to take the glass out. with the window in the up position (which if yours is broke won't be a problem) tape up the glass, then take your door panel off. then find the two retainer bolts in the bottom of the glass. my regulator blocks were red, remove the two bolts and pull down on the regulator block. you should be able to then unbolt and remove the regulator/motor assembly. i think you can just replace the motor as i still have an old motor from my last regulator that went bad, so i hung onto the motor. it is for the passenger side and is off a 95 mystique.

This is REALLY stupid for me to say, but you can FORCE the window to move by forcing a current through it I believe through the switches (my mech did it)

He also just had to reoil the windows and voila, worked like a charm. I'm not sure if that'll work for you but if you haven't tried that, start off with that before spending $150 on the window regulator.

This is REALLY stupid for me to say, but you can FORCE the window to move by forcing a current through it I believe through the switches (my mech did it)

He also just had to reoil the windows and voila, worked like a charm. I'm not sure if that'll work for you but if you haven't tried that, start off with that before spending $150 on the window regulator.
Yes, if the problem is the switch or rusted tracks. If the motor is the problem, both these ways will not work.

Back