• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mondeo ST220

But would you pay the $$?? When i posted this on another US forum they said they wouldn't pay more than $25K-the 220 lists at £28K ($56K) in the spec i have it in!! I paid £21K ($42K).

No, nobody in the US would and this is the reason we don't have them or the hopped up Focus that you guys have.

For 40k i can get a lot better/faster car over here than on 240hp mondeo or a turbo focus.

Exactly ;) How much is a BMW M3 over there? What sort of cars are you talking about? Interested to learn what you pay over there...........

But would you pay the $$?? When i posted this on another US forum they said they wouldn't pay more than $25K-the 220 lists at £28K ($56K) in the spec i have it in!! I paid £21K ($42K).

Holy crap! Thats just about double what a new SVT was. A know a pound is more than the dollar here but what makes it so expensive? Nav/bluetooth/parking sensors addup to maybe 5k at most. I agree on not paying over 25k for that.

Over here it's only in the ST220. According to tech data it is based on the standard 3L Duratec.

OK... so if the 2.5 and 3L US Duratec bell housings are both able to match up to the MTX-75 that we have, and the 3L matches up with the 6-speed ST220 Transmission that you have... wouldn't that also mean that the 2.5 AND 3L housings would also be compatible with the same ST220 Transmission? :shrug:

I'm not so much look at having an ST220 engine, but the answer I'm REALLY looking for is... "YES, you CAN have a 6-SPEED Contour."

That's what cars cost here! $25K would just about buy you a 1.6 Focus!! I guess that's why Ford don't bother with the USA with cars like this any more.

OK... so if the 2.5 and 3L US Duratec bell housings are both able to match up to the MTX-75 that we have, and the 3L matches up with the 6-speed ST220 Transmission that you have... wouldn't that also mean that the 2.5 AND 3L housings would also be compatible with the same ST220 Transmission? :shrug:

I'm not so much look at having an ST220 engine, but the answer I'm REALLY looking for is... "YES, you CAN have a 6-SPEED Contour."

Haven't a clue sorry! Why would you want the 6 speed so bad anyway? It has close ratio on 5 gears and a long 6th gear. Shift action is much better than the old MTX75 though :) Early 220's had a reworked MTX75 so i guess it would all fit together-you want the engine to go with it though!!!

Last edited:
...Why would you want the 6 speed so bad anyway? It has close ratio on 5 gears and a long 6th gear. Shift action is much better than the old MTX75 though :) Early 220's had a reworked MTX75 so i guess it would all fit together-you want the engine to go with it though!!!

I owned an SE-R V spec before this CSVT. Whenever I'm on the highway, I'm always reaching down to shift when I'm already in 5th. It's just what I got used to I guess. I've read the same peeve from a few other CEG'ers in other posts too. MTX-75 5th gear is just not suited very well for highway driving.

I think I just figured out what my CSVT dream project is going to be. :cool:

I stole the 6-speed shift knob from the SE-R just before they hauled it off to the graveyard... would it be great to be able to use it again?... in a '00 CSVT!!! :drool:

Exactly ;) How much is a BMW M3 over there? What sort of cars are you talking about? Interested to learn what you pay over there...........

American cars (at least) cost roughly twice over in Europe than they do here. The 300C sells over there for the equivalent of about 50,000 US dollars when it starts around 25,000 US dollars here. A base BMW M3 Coupe starts about 45,000 to 50,000 US dollars, which is 22,500 to 25,000 British pounds.

There is no question of whether the 6-spd will mate to a duratec, it's always been a question of whether the 6 spd housing will fit between the frame rails of the contour or Mk1-Mk2 Mondy. I think Terry was monkeying about with it sometime back, but never heard if he succeeded or not.

I would love to have a sixth gear. I have the 4.5 final drive in my cougar, and it would be nice to cruise on the highway below 4k RPM again. Oh, and nice car.

American cars (at least) cost roughly twice over in Europe than they do here. The 300C sells over there for the equivalent of about 50,000 US dollars when it starts around 25,000 US dollars here. A base BMW M3 Coupe starts about 45,000 to 50,000 US dollars, which is 22,500 to 25,000 British pounds.

Many thanks for that-BMW keep that VERY quiet over here!! Are the M3's still built in Europe or are they US built do you know?

Drivers airbag,passengers air bag, air bag in sides of both front seats,curtain airbags in roof lining!! That enough for ya? ;) In a crash it becomes a bouncy castle!!!

Back