• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

High Idle

No codes as of now. I don't smell/hear any vac leaks.

Check the hoses for dry rot spots. Maybe one of your vacume hoses has a small crack in it.??

It has to be something.

Did you check the volts on your tps at idle yet?

Here is what is going on now. It will eventually make its way down to ~750. When I let off the gas, it hangs out at ~1500 for a few seconds, then drops to ~1200 for about 5-10 seconds, then to ~900 for 3-5 seconds, then finally to ~750.

Thoughts?

-Mark

Have you cleaned around the throttle plate and throttle body. Sounds like the throttle plate may be sticking open a bit. Lube the throttle cable.

TB and plate are clean. I have tried it with out the linkage connected and it does the same thing.

If the engine is warm and I unplug the IAC it will idle at ~500. Someone asked about that earlier in the thread so I thought I would give an update.

Wild guess! Check the accelerator cable and pedal, and the metal plate which holds the gas and cruise cable next to the throttle. Something could be blocking them from returning to their original position.

Isn't that normal? When I first start up my car, it idles around 1.5k then drops down to 1k, then finally round 650. Of course, all this in a matter of about 1minute.

Back