• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Glasspacks?

Yeah, I've already listened to all those, was just wanting to look at something different maybe... anyone done the glasspack thing?

Just use the Magnaflow resonator that everyone uses on this site and be done with it. Even with the stock mufflers, my exhaust sounds great. As an extra bonus, it will set off car alarms @ around 3K rpms. At least mine will.
Karl

how does it set off car alarms with a larger resonator and stock mufflers?

i was just about to go out and get a Thrush Glasspack muffler today and put it in place of the resonator, until i saw this thread, ill let it play out. and see what happens, i really dont have a lot of cash right now so i figured that would be a nice little touch for a while. thought about going no resonator but people advised me against that.

As an extra bonus, it will set off car alarms @ around 3K rpms. At least mine will.
Karl
Everyone says that like it means something. My svt's exhaust ain't all that loud but will set my zetec's alarm off at 1500rpm. It just means my zetec's alarm is a bit sensitive not that my exhaust is cool.

so how long of a glasspack should i get? i really dont have an idea because ive never seen how big the resonator is.

and will it be ok to clamp on with flanges on each side?

The one I got was only about 18 inches or so, sounds really nice :), and apparently they start sounding better after a couple days, so I'm happy...

Everyone says that like it means something. My svt's exhaust ain't all that loud but will set my zetec's alarm off at 1500rpm. It just means my zetec's alarm is a bit sensitive not that my exhaust is cool.
The guy wants to get a glasspack for a resonator - why I don't know. My thought was that even with my stock mufflers the Magnaflow resonator ups the sound level nicely. I didn't plan it that way but there it is.
S2Knott said:
so how long of a glasspack should i get? i really dont have an idea because ive never seen how big the resonator is.
If you take it to a muffler shop, they'll see what will fit. If you get the Magnaflow, it fits nicely.
Karl

The guy wants to get a glasspack for a resonator - why I don't know. My thought was that even with my stock mufflers the Magnaflow resonator ups the sound level nicely. I didn't plan it that way but there it is. If you take it to a muffler shop, they'll see what will fit. If you get the Magnaflow, it fits nicely.
Karl

Right, the muffler shop will know.

Sorry but the most disappointing thing I installed on my car was a Magnaflow muffler (in place of the resonator).

Some like sound of the glass pack and some prefer Magnaflow. To each his own. Maybe we should leave it at that. :ponder: Agree to disagree so to speak. ;)

xxnovaXX, I still think you will like the sound. :)

Sorry but the most disappointing thing I installed on my car was a Magnaflow muffler (in place of the resonator).

Some like sound of the glass pack and some prefer Magnaflow. To each his own. Maybe we should leave it at that. :ponder: Agree to disagree so to speak. ;)

xxnovaXX, I still think you will like the sound. :)
Do you still have mufflers in their original positions or are you running the "resonator only" style exhaust? I have my full exhaust with only the resonator changed out for the Magnaflow. Regarding glass packs - I don't know how long they will last before their "stuffing" starts to degrade. As a hot rodder from the 60's, I used glass packs on my Cuda. As soon as performance "turbo" type mufflers came out, I quickly made the switch. There was a small weight savings too between a three foot long glass pack and a foot long muffler. The asthetic with "non-glasspack" systems to me is that they sound more like, though better than, stock high performance systems with the bonus of less backpressure. :idea: As you said, to each their own.
Karl

Back