• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

max width tire to fit on a 17" fsvt wheel????

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
i want to get a set of drag radials for my front's but i dont know how wide i can go. as far as i know, 245-45-17 is the narrowest 17" tire out there. my guess is that this will rub somewhere in the wheel well, or on the strut/spring. does anybody have a for sure answer on this?

i have thought about this too, but i really would rather not have to change tires to run someone, and i would like to bring the car to the strip the same way i drive it around town. if i cant get a drag radial to fit these tires, i'll probably get some 15"s with D/R's and have my buddy at the jeep shop fab up some wheel spacers, and some long studs.

It'll also depend on your suspension setup. I had 245/50/16's on my stock SVT wheels. They were fine in a straight line, but turning would rub, pretty bad! It also threw my ABS light off.

Mark

thanks for the info :) i found some BFG DR's that come in a 225/45/ZR17 i'm gonna have to see some of those in person, hopefully they will work.

I think they'll work really well, actually! I've got some sticky 225/45/17's on my lightweight 17" wheels, and even when I was running the bottle, I didn't get much wheel spin at ~300whp/300wtq. Drag radials in the same size, especially with a heavier wheel, will do a lot for traction. I just hope you've got an adjustable set of struts that you can set to full stiff, to keep the front end down as much as possible.

Mark

yeah that's part of the plan this winter, i'm not worried about that too much because that is something i can do in a weekend when it's nice out. right now i'm putting my focus on the new motor and work my way toward the ground :) after that i can make it look cool hehe

my clutch is killing my axles. i'm going to put new stock axles in, if they go boom, they go boom. if i end up keeping the car (it's REALLY pising me off lately. nothing i do goes right) i will proably fork the money out for at least a set of stage1's or something. i need a LSD too although i cant seem to kill the stock one. i'm thinking about getting different wheels too, the FSVT euros are cool but i want something dished i think.

Back