• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Suspension Makeover

Hammy1105

CEG'er
I'm looking to do a complete suspension rebuild, but fairly new at this and need some advice on what are good components to replace. The car has 150k miles on it and I replaced struts and springs about 8k ago with Koni/B&G.
I dont want to do OEM rebuild but beef up the suspension because I'm hard on my car and want to get into autocross soon.
Can anyone help and give me an idea of what parts I should be replacing??

Lower control arms up front are a great start if you haven't done them yet. Most of the suspension play in a Contour suspension will be in those control arm bushings.

Sway bar end links front & rear. BAT has some at a good price for the front. You can get some nice ones here on CEG. There was a GB or interest check recently.

Rear suspension, there are a few options. I let somebody with more experience make suggestions that may be worth the trouble.

I'm looking to do a complete suspension rebuild, but fairly new at this and need some advice on what are good components to replace. The car has 150k miles on it and I replaced struts and springs about 8k ago with Koni/B&G.
I dont want to do OEM rebuild but beef up the suspension because I'm hard on my car and want to get into autocross soon.

Funny you ask. I'm in the midst of taking care of the entire affair. TourDeForce is right on with the LCA's and sway bar links -- common sources of malfeasance.

I'm not an aftermarket guy -- I'm a Motorcraft purist, so all my parts will be stockers. I'd take care of strut mounts and bar bushings, front and rear, as well.

Last edited:

You've got my PM by now. Are you having any issues like rattles, clunks, uneven tire wear? These are all sure signs of worn parts which on our cars usually entail rubber bushings gone south.

Need info. on your car. Other than the struts/springs is it stock? 2 or 4 bolt frt A arms? Daily driver, track queen or combination?

Funny you ask. I'm in the midst of taking care of the entire affair. TourDeForce is right on with the LCA's and sway bar links -- common sources of malfeasance.

I'm not an aftermarket guy -- I'm a Motorcraft purist, so all my parts will be stockers. I'd take care of strut mounts and bar bushings, front and rear, as well.

I don't blame you there. Ford made some very good parts for the Contiques. However, you should know that the front end links from BAT are improved versions made in europe and can be had for $17.50 each. I don't think you'll get that good a price anywhere.

"Ours are an upgrade to the standard Ford units."

Back